Energy harvesting from hot pipes in home

In summary: To put it simply, if you have the option to use electricity instead of water heating, it would be more effective to use electricity.
GBA13
Hi guys,

I was just thinking about something and I'd love to get your opinion. How much energy do you think is lost from water pipes getting hot and releasing that energy into the air? In a three bedroom house there are probably a lot of hot pipes releasing heat energy. Do you think some sort of cladding could be put around them to harvest the energy and do you think there would be a decent power output?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would be much more effective to insulate the pipes. Instead of "harvesting" the energy with a complex device, you could prevent the thermal energy from escaping the pipes in the first place. Simple and cheap.

Likes gmax137, Bystander, billy_joule and 1 other person
Agreed. Most houses don't use much energy for water heating anyway and the fraction of that that is loss is small.

Likes Bystander
russ_watters said:
Agreed. Most houses don't use much energy for water heating anyway and the fraction of that that is loss is small.
Well that depends on climate. HW is metered separately in many houses in New Zealand, few houses have AC or central heating, I've had bills where half the kWh is HW, 35% was about the average.

billy_joule said:
Well that depends on climate. HW is metered separately in many houses in New Zealand, few houses have AC or central heating, I've had bills where half the kWh is HW, 35% was about the average.
Ok, so if the energy usage of a house is really, really low the fraction used for water heating can be high. But that doesn't really change our issue does it? The amount of energy spent on water heating is still low and the energy available to be recovered is still tiny.

To put some numbers to it though, my home is heated by propane, which is probably half the cost of electric for heating, but in any case, that means I get a separate bill for it. In the summer the combined total propane usage between hot water, cooking and clothes drying is $15 a month. A good guestimate is that the water heating is half of that. In the months when I don't need heat or air conditioning, my electric bill is about $40 a month. Converting the propane cost to an equivalent electric cost, that equates to about 20% spent on the water heating. Now, I'm single and male, but still I find it hard to imagine how a house's energy usage can be such a high fraction for hot water.

But still, the bottom line is that the energy cost is only $15 a month if its electricity, which doesn't leave a lot of potential for saving money by recovering some of that energy.

Randy Beikmann said:
more effective to insulate the pipes.
... plus, an "S-bend" to "trap" convection losses on vertical plumbing runs, and you've taken care of just about everything.

Likes gmax137
With cold climate, there is nothing to gain as you need to heat the house anyway. Heating water that warms the surrounding air or heating the air directly, same difference.

russ_watters said:
Ok, so if the energy usage of a house is really, really low the fraction used for water heating can be high. But that doesn't really change our issue does it? The amount of energy spent on water heating is still low and the energy available to be recovered is still tiny.

To put some numbers to it though, my home is heated by propane, which is probably half the cost of electric for heating, but in any case, that means I get a separate bill for it. In the summer the combined total propane usage between hot water, cooking and clothes drying is $15 a month. A good guestimate is that the water heating is half of that. In the months when I don't need heat or air conditioning, my electric bill is about $40 a month. Converting the propane cost to an equivalent electric cost, that equates to about 20% spent on the water heating. Now, I'm single and male, but still I find it hard to imagine how a house's energy usage can be such a high fraction for hot water.

But still, the bottom line is that the energy cost is only $15 a month if its electricity, which doesn't leave a lot of potential for saving money by recovering some of that energy.

This kind of cost stuff is really very relative to where you live. I agree with Billy, I live in New Zealand too and our water heating costs are a significant portion of our electricity bill. Also unlike the US for example, we don't use diesel for central heating because it is really expensive here, so is propane. Electricity is our cheapest form of energy, apart from domestic solar. Even domestic solar has hidden costs that many people fail to take into account. Pipe lagging is a really good thing to do here.

1. How does energy harvesting from hot pipes in home work?

Energy harvesting from hot pipes in home involves using a thermoelectric generator (TEG) to convert the temperature difference between the hot pipes and the surrounding air into electricity. The TEG contains two different materials that produce an electric current when heated on one side and cooled on the other.

2. What are the benefits of harvesting energy from hot pipes in home?

The main benefit of energy harvesting from hot pipes in home is that it allows for the generation of electricity without the need for traditional energy sources. This can reduce energy costs and decrease a home's carbon footprint. Additionally, it can provide a backup power source during outages and increase energy efficiency.

3. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to harvesting energy from hot pipes in home?

One limitation of this technology is that it is most effective when there is a significant temperature difference between the hot pipes and the surrounding air. This may not always be the case, especially in moderate climates. Additionally, the initial cost of installing a TEG system may be high, but it can lead to long-term cost savings.

4. Can energy harvesting from hot pipes in home be used in all types of homes?

Yes, energy harvesting from hot pipes in home can be used in most types of homes, including single-family houses, apartments, and condominiums. However, the size and layout of the home may affect the effectiveness of the system, so it is important to consult with a professional before installation.

5. Is energy harvesting from hot pipes in home a reliable source of energy?

Energy harvesting from hot pipes in home can be a reliable source of energy if the system is properly installed and maintained. However, it should not be relied upon as the sole source of energy for a home. It is best used as a supplement to traditional energy sources. Additionally, the effectiveness of the system may vary depending on external factors such as weather conditions and the condition of the hot pipes.