Energy in 6V Dry-Cell Battery: -3.25E^9 J

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luke1294
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Voltage
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
Luke1294
Messages
56
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The manufacturer of a 6 V dry-cell flashlight battery says that the battery will deliver 15 mA for 60 continuous hours. During that time, the voltage will drop from 6 V to 4 V. Assume the drop in voltage is linear with time. How much energy does the battery deliver in this 60 h interval?

Homework Equations



[tex]p=\frac {dw}{dt}=vi[/tex]
[tex]w=\int vi \; dt[/tex]
[tex]y-y_1=m(x-x_1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Okay, so this is a pretty elementary problem...but whatever. I know that at t=0, the battery will be putting out 6 V. I also know that after 60 hours (or 2.6E^5 seconds), the battery will be putting out 4 V. I used this information, along with the equation of a line in point-slope form, to find a function of voltage in terms of time. That function is...

[tex]V(t)=-9.3E^{-6}t + 6[/tex]

Okay, so now I have a function for voltage, and a constant current, enough to use my second equation, [tex]w=\int vi \; dt[/tex], where w is energy.

[tex]w=\int_0^{2.16E^5}(-9.3E^{-6}t+6)(15E^{-3}\;dt[/tex]
The units work out right, and I arrive at -3.25E^9 J.

Does everything look alright? Or have I gone in a totally incorrect direction. The negative value is what is really throwing me off.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the current is constant, bring it outside of the integral.

One can also write the integrand as 6 - 9.26E-6t, which should integrate to _____?

I get a positive number.


One can do a quick overcheck with V*I*time, remembering that V*I = power.

Now since V decreases linearly from 6 to 4 V, the average is simply 5 V (J/coul), then multiply by current 0.015 A (coul/s), and time of 216,000 s.
 
Thanks! I'm not exactly sure why I was getting a negative number, but when I went through and re-did it, it came out positive. But hey, atleast I know my method was sound!

I wasn't positive I could just use the average, although it makes perfect sense. Silly me.Once again, thank you very much!
 
Luke1294 said:
Thanks! I'm not exactly sure why I was getting a negative number, but when I went through and re-did it, it came out positive. But hey, atleast I know my method was sound!

I wasn't positive I could just use the average, although it makes perfect sense. Silly me.


Once again, thank you very much!

I also found a negative energy, which is OK. A positive energy is dissipated at the load. The power source delivers a negative energy.
This goes with the definition of active and passive elements. In a passive element the energy is always nonnegative, while in an active element it can be negative. The power source is an active element.