Energy in different references

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy in different reference frames in the context of special relativity. The main question is whether the kinetic energy of a rotating body in one reference frame can be used or "exist" in another reference frame. It is mentioned that this is not only an issue in special relativity, but also in Newtonian mechanics. The consensus is that the kinetic energy does differ in different reference frames and can be used for practical purposes, such as generating electricity.
hisham.i
I was thinking in special relativity and how does the energy look from one reference to another,
if i consider a body making a circular motion in reference R1, with an angular velocity w1,and a stationary body in reference R2, R1 see that the body in R2 is rotating with an angular velocity |w1|, so the body in reference R2has a kinetic energy 1/2(I*W1^2) from reference R2point of view.
But the idea which is puzzling me is: Is this kinetic energy really exist?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hisham.i! :smile:

Are you using the rotating body in R1 as a reference frame?

You can't do that in special relativity …

all frames must have uniform velocity and be non-rotational. :wink:

Tiny-tim, that's not correct. You can use any coordinate system you want as long as you don't call it an inertial frame.

hisham.i, your question doesn't have anything to do with relativity. You have the same issue in Newtonian mechanics. The answer is yes, the kinetic energy is different in different coordinate systems.

Hi Fredrik! :smile:
Fredrik said:
Tiny-tim, that's not correct. You can use any coordinate system you want as long as you don't call it an inertial frame.

Yes, I agree, but I meant frames "in special relativity", by which I took hisham.i to mean frames related by the Lorentz transformation.

Fredrik said:
hisham.i, your question doesn't have anything to do with relativity. You have the same issue in Newtonian mechanics. The answer is yes, the kinetic energy is different in different coordinate systems.
Yes you are right..
but the point is can i really use this energy in the other reference i mean can i generate electricity from this rotation?

yes, everything has energy so far it once had a rest mass..or relativistic mass

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is present in all aspects of our daily lives.

2. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in Joules (J) or other units such as calories (cal) or kilowatt-hours (kWh). These units represent the amount of work that can be done by a certain amount of energy.

3. What are the different forms of energy?

There are many forms of energy, including mechanical energy, thermal energy, chemical energy, electrical energy, and nuclear energy. Each form of energy has specific characteristics and can be converted into other forms.

4. How does energy change from one form to another?

Energy can change from one form to another through processes such as conversion, transfer, or transformation. For example, a light bulb converts electrical energy into light and heat energy.

5. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.