1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    Problem:

A 2.4-kg object on a frictionless horizontal surface is attached to one end of a horizontal spring of force constant k=4.5 kN/m. The other end of the spring is held stationary. The spring is strecthed 10 cm from equilibrium and released. find the system's total mechanical energy.

Attempt at solution:

It seems as if I should be able to just substitute values into the equation [tex]E_{sys}=\frac{1}{2}kA_o^2[/tex] where [tex]A_o[/tex] is just the amplitude of the motion. The given units seem inconsistent, I need to convert k into centimeters by mulitplying by the factor [tex]\frac{1m}{100cm}[/tex] which gives [tex]k=0.045 kN/cm[/tex]. I get 2.25 joules. My book gives an answer of 23 joules. Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you convert the spring constant to [itex]kN/cm[/itex] then your answer will be in [itex]kN\cdot cm[/itex], which is not the same as Joules. If you convert your answer to Joules you'll have it right.

But it would be a lot easier to convert [itex]A_0[/itex] to meters instead...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook