Energy in a 100kg mass vibrating at 10Hz with 10mm/s speed

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Great-dane
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Vibrations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
Great-dane
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hi people can anyone help me? I need to know how much energy it takes to vibrate a mass at a frequency and speed.
How much energy is there in a mass of ex. 100Kg at 10Hz and a speed of 10mm/s ?
Tangs!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how the mass is vibrating. If the motion of the mass is simple harmonic and if you're referring to a maximum speed, then the energy should be the kinetic energy of the mass at that speed.
 
Thanks for your answer!
Welllll, I'm trying to work out how much energy there is in ex. "5*BPF" (see the att.). Let's say the mass is 100kg!
Is ti as simple as E(kin)?
 
Attachments
  • Unavngivet.jpg
    Unavngivet.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 535
What is your graph describing (what is the system)?
 
It is from a vibration test on the aft part of a ship!
BPF=Blade Passing Frequ..
ME=Main Engine
The ship vibrates every time a propeller plade passes and I'm trying to finde the energ which is lost. The mass is imposible to know due to the structure of the ship, but i have a estimate saying 144kg/m2.
How much energy is lost in vibrating 144kg at the shown freq. and speeds?
 
They should be valid, they are from real life! Anyway, I have found the formula for energy in a "standing" sinus curve!
 
Sorry, I was busy with things, so I forgot what was going on. I'm not really sure what's happening in this case, but if you're referring to the energy lost to the vibration of a ship, then I agree with you on the standing wave solution; though you probably figured that from the beginning. For the energy involved, I would normally leave it to idealization at this point and compare the vibration to that on a uniform string. Longitudinally, you could compare it to a sound wave and take into account the material difference.
 
Last edited: