Energy in Vibrations: 100Kg at 10Hz & 10mm/s

In summary, the mass of a ship vibrates at 10Hz and has a maximum speed of 10mm/s. 144kg of mass is lost in energy due to the vibration.
Great-dane
Hi people can anyone help me? I need to know how much energy it takes to vibrate a mass at a frequency and speed.
How much energy is there in a mass of ex. 100Kg at 10Hz and a speed of 10mm/s ?
Tangs!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

It depends on how the mass is vibrating. If the motion of the mass is simple harmonic and if you're referring to a maximum speed, then the energy should be the kinetic energy of the mass at that speed.

Thanks for your answer!
Welllll, I'm trying to work out how much energy there is in ex. "5*BPF" (see the att.). Let's say the mass is 100kg!
Is ti as simple as E(kin)?

Attachments

• Unavngivet.jpg
    Unavngivet.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 449
What is your graph describing (what is the system)?

It is from a vibration test on the aft part of a ship!
BPF=Blade Passing Frequ..
ME=Main Engine
The ship vibrates every time a propeller plade passes and I'm trying to finde the energ which is lost. The mass is imposible to know due to the structure of the ship, but i have a estimate saying 144kg/m2.
How much energy is lost in vibrating 144kg at the shown freq. and speeds?

Gear 300, what do you think?

I'm not sure your numbers are really valid, but just plug them into the kinetic energy equation.

They should be valid, they are from real life! Anyway, I have found the formula for energy in a "standing" sinus curve!

Sorry, I was busy with things, so I forgot what was going on. I'm not really sure what's happening in this case, but if you're referring to the energy lost to the vibration of a ship, then I agree with you on the standing wave solution; though you probably figured that from the beginning. For the energy involved, I would normally leave it to idealization at this point and compare the vibration to that on a uniform string. Longitudinally, you could compare it to a sound wave and take into account the material difference.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between mass, frequency, and amplitude in vibrations?

The amount of energy in a vibrating object is directly proportional to its mass, the square of its frequency, and the square of its amplitude. This means that the higher the mass, frequency, and amplitude of an object, the more energy it will have in its vibrations.

2. How does the energy of a 100kg object at 10Hz and 10mm/s compare to that of a 50kg object at the same frequency and amplitude?

The 100kg object will have four times the energy of the 50kg object. This is because the energy is directly proportional to the mass, and the 100kg object has twice the mass of the 50kg object.

3. What factors can affect the energy of vibrations?

The energy of vibrations can be affected by the mass, frequency, and amplitude of the object, as well as any external forces acting on the object. Friction and air resistance can also impact the amount of energy in vibrations.

4. How is energy transferred in vibrations?

In vibrations, energy is transferred back and forth between potential energy (stored energy due to the object's position) and kinetic energy (energy of motion). This transfer of energy allows the object to continue vibrating until it loses energy due to friction or other external forces.

5. Can the energy of vibrations be increased or decreased?

Yes, the energy of vibrations can be increased or decreased by changing the mass, frequency, or amplitude of the object. Additionally, the energy can be dissipated through external forces, such as friction, which will decrease the amount of energy in the vibrations.