Wave frequency, medium and temperature

In summary, temperature affects waves by changing the density of the medium they are traveling through. If the generated wave move to the same medium but with other temperature, how can we write the generated wave in function of f, t_p, and t_m1?
latot
Hi hi, I'm looking into how temperature affects waves, but I don't know too much about this, in how temperature mixes with all of this, I have this questions:

We have a particle vibrating at frequency ##f## at a certain temperature ##t_p##, and a medium with other temperature ##t_m1##.

If the generated wave move to the same medium but with other temperature ##t_m2##?

How can we write the generated wave in function of ##f##, ##t_p## and ##t_m1##? (with and without exchange of heat).

I would like consider 2 cases, where the particle is vibrating without a external force, and with a external force (in one the kinetic energy is used to generate the waves, in other the kinetic energy is just constant, or something supply the difference to keep the particle vibrating at the same frequency and amplitude).

There is a lot of ways to mix this, but let's start with this.

Thx.

Science news on Phys.org
What kind of waves? EM waves, sound waves in liquid/solid, etc.?

latot said:
Hi hi, I'm looking into how temperature affects waves, but I don't know too much about this, in how temperature mixes with all of this

The answer is complicated, as it depends on the type of wave and the type of medium. The short answer is that temperature generally affects waves by changing the density of the medium they are traveling through. For light, this usually means a reduction in density as temperature increases, which means a decrease in refractive index. However, some materials do the opposite. I can't give an example off the top of my head though.

Likes jbriggs444
Drakkith said:
The answer is complicated, as it depends on the type of wave and the type of medium. The short answer is that temperature generally affects waves by changing the density of the medium they are traveling through. For light, this usually means a reduction in density as temperature increases, which means a decrease in refractive index. However, some materials do the opposite. I can't give an example off the top of my head though.
In air (or an ideal gas), increasing temperature decreases density without changing the bulk modulus, so the speed of sound increases with increasing temperature. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Sound/souspe3.html

In at least some metals, the material gets softer with increasing temperature so the speed of sound decreases with increasing temperature. The first reference I Googled up was https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10765-009-0683-2 "The longitudinal wave velocity in X14CrMoS17 steel varies from 6,002 m·s−1 at 293 K to 5,115 m·s−1 at 1,173 K"

Likes vanhees71 and Drakkith
:O Ty.

Lets think in waves of sound and light.

I would like if there is some formulations for this, how is constructed the wave equation when there is heat in the middle?

Is right, if we increase the heat we will down the density, but only if there is space to expand it, but if there is no space, how will travel the wave?

latot said:
Is right, if we increase the heat we will down the density, but only if there is space to expand it, but if there is no space, how will travel the wave?
Nothing is perfectly rigid. Especially not when considering sound waves. Even if there is no space to expand into at the ends, the jello in the middle can still jiggle around.

If you are asking about how the speed of sound varies in hot, high pressure material versus cold, low pressure material, the answer is that I don't know.

However, since the speed of sound varies with density and the bulk modulus, and since you are now holding density constant, that narrows the scope of your investigation pretty well.

Edit: Google is your friend, e.g.

https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/77A/jresv77An6p755_A1b.pdf "The Effect of Temperature and Pressure on the Refractive Index of Some Oxide Glasses"

Last edited:

What is wave frequency?

Wave frequency is the number of complete waves that pass a given point in a certain amount of time. It is measured in hertz (Hz) which is equal to one wave per second.

How does the medium affect wave frequency?

The medium through which a wave travels can affect its frequency. In general, waves travel faster in denser mediums, resulting in a higher frequency. This is due to the fact that the particles in a denser medium are closer together, allowing for more frequent wave oscillations.

How does temperature affect wave frequency?

Temperature can also affect wave frequency. In most cases, as temperature increases, so does the frequency of a wave. This is because higher temperatures cause particles to vibrate faster, resulting in more frequent wave oscillations.

What is the relationship between wave frequency and wavelength?

Wave frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: frequency = speed / wavelength.

How is wave frequency measured?

Wave frequency can be measured using various instruments such as an oscilloscope or a frequency counter. It can also be calculated by measuring the time it takes for a certain number of waves to pass a given point and using the equation: frequency = number of waves / time.