Energy Level Diagram of Magnesium Ion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
phee
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Create an energy level diagram for a Magnesium Ion

Homework Equations



n/a

The Attempt at a Solution



snfiuc.png


Correct?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. This is an electron configuration, I don't remember hearing it being called an "energy level diagram". Doesn't mean nobody uses that name.

2. You are not told what Mg ion (or you have not posted this information), so it is not possible to say if it is correct. While other ions are less stable (and none will be stable in a water solution), in vacuum it is perfectly possible to strip any number of electrons from magnesium atom.

Other than that your answer has chances of being correct.
 
Borek said:
1. This is an electron configuration, I don't remember hearing it being called an "energy level diagram". Doesn't mean nobody uses that name.

2. You are not told what Mg ion (or you have not posted this information), so it is not possible to say if it is correct. While other ions are less stable (and none will be stable in a water solution), in vacuum it is perfectly possible to strip any number of electrons from magnesium atom.

Other than that your answer has chances of being correct.

Question stated:

Draw an energy level diagram for a Magnesium ion. I suppose the Magnesium ion is Mg 2+

Not much was given, based off this, is it correct?
 
Last edited:
As I wrote - can be your answer is right. That is - what you draw is a correct description of the electrons in the Mg2+, I am just not sure it is what the teacher expects.