1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy diagram for hybridized oxygen in CO

1. Dec 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please look at the screenshot attached. The answer is "Yes", but I am not sure why.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Oxygen have six electrons, but the energy diagram shows only five. That was why I thought it was wrong, but the diagram shown is correct. Can anyone explain why?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There have to be six electrons. Oxygen isn’t charged in CO. The diagram must be wrong.

4. Dec 7, 2017 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

..., unless, it's for bonding electrons from both carbon and oxygen? Seem to recall some sort of quasi-quantum mechanical argument for "bonding/anti-bonding orbitals."

5. Dec 8, 2017 #4

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The MO diagram for CO is isoelectronic to N2 and will have either 6 or 10 electrons, depending on whether you choose to include the σ-σ* bonding-antibonding pair generated from the 2s electrons. The point of the exercise is doubtless to highlight the energy splitting due to the hybridization of s and p orbitals on oxygen, but in no world is 5 electrons correct.

6. Dec 11, 2017 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

How the heck do you hybridize a diagram?
    Furthermore, there is no reason why O in CO should be hybridized at all.

7. Dec 11, 2017 #6

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, it doesn’t make much sense for a diatomic. I imagine the point was to show the effects of hybridization on s and p orbital energies, but that’s probably the least of the problems with this example.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted