Energy levels of a 3 dimensional infinite square well

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation emitted when an electron transitions from the third energy level, E3, to the lowest energy level, E1. The relevant equation is provided and there is a discussion about the values of n for the third level. It is determined that for a symmetric box, the energy levels are degenerate and can have multiple combinations of n values. Further research into rectangular or square wells is recommended for a better understanding.
bobred

Homework Statement

Calculate the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation emitted when
an electron makes a transition from the third energy level, E3, to the lowest energy level, E1.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_n = \frac{\left (n_{x}^{2}+n_{y}^{2}+n_{z}^{2} \right) \pi^{2} \hbar^{2}}{2m_{e}L^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Working out the wavelength is not a problem, my problem comes for the values of n for the third level. For the lowest energy level we have

[itex] (1^{2} + 1^{2} + 1^{2}) [/itex]

My question is for the third energy level is it

[itex] (1^{2} + 2^{2} + 2^{2}) [/itex]?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, as long as they are referring to E3 and not the third excited state in the problem,(E1 is the ground state the way you asked the question). And for your interest you are dealing with a symmetric box so the energy levels are degenerate. Meaning you could take 2,2,1 1,2,2 or 2,1,2. E2 would be 2,1,1, 1,2,1 or 1,1,2. These are called degenerate eigenstates.

Thanks that's what I thought.

No problem, I recommend you look into rectangular/square wells to refine your understanding.

Last edited:

I would like to clarify that the energy levels of a 3-dimensional infinite square well are determined by the values of n_x, n_y, and n_z. The formula provided is correct, and for the lowest energy level, n_x = n_y = n_z = 1. For the third energy level, n_x = 1, n_y = 2, and n_z = 2. Therefore, the correct values for the third energy level are (1^2 + 2^2 + 2^2) as you have stated. This would result in a longer wavelength compared to the transition from the lowest energy level to the third energy level. I hope this clarifies any confusion.

1. What is a 3 dimensional infinite square well?

A 3 dimensional infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within an infinitely deep potential well with square boundaries in three dimensions.

2. How do energy levels in a 3 dimensional infinite square well differ from those in a 1 or 2 dimensional well?

In a 3 dimensional infinite square well, the particle has more freedom of movement and therefore has a more complex energy spectrum compared to a 1 or 2 dimensional well. The energy levels in a 3 dimensional well are also more closely spaced.

3. How is the potential energy of a particle determined in a 3 dimensional infinite square well?

The potential energy of a particle in a 3 dimensional infinite square well is determined by the shape and size of the well, as well as the properties of the particle itself, such as its mass and charge.

4. What is the significance of the energy levels in a 3 dimensional infinite square well?

The energy levels in a 3 dimensional infinite square well represent the allowed energy states that a particle can have within the well. These levels play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of particles in this system.

5. How do energy levels in a 3 dimensional infinite square well relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The energy levels in a 3 dimensional infinite square well are related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in that they demonstrate the quantization of energy, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics. This principle states that there is a limit to how accurately one can simultaneously measure the position and momentum of a particle, and the energy levels in the well reflect this limitation.