Energy minimisation, confusion in interpretation of question

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Dazed&Confused
Messages
190
Reaction score
3
Perhaps not an appropriate place to ask this. I've completed a question which is phrased as the following:

Explain, on thermodynamical grounds, why the minimisation of the energy [itex]E(S, V, N)[/itex] yields the equilibrium state of a system with fixed entropy S, volume V and number of particles [itex]N[/itex].

I had one interpretation, to show that minimisation of the energy, i.e. that [itex]dE = 0[/itex], leads to a fixed entropy, volume, and number of particles.

The correct interpretation was actually to show that under fixed, entropy, and number of particles the energy is minimised, using the second law. To me, this does not make sense, however it did lead to one question: is there a situation where minimising [itex]E[/itex] would lead to a constant entropy, volume, and number of particles where this was not specified initially?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dazed&Confused said:
The correct interpretation was actually to show that under fixed, entropy, and number of particles the energy is minimised, using the second law.
... that's how I read it. The state is given by the numbers (S,V,N).

To me, this does not make sense, however it did lead to one question: is there a situation where minimising [itex]E[/itex] would lead to a constant entropy, volume, and number of particles where this was not specified initially?
... what would the constraint be? Minimum energy could be zero for zero particles.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dazed&Confused
Ok thanks. Ignore my question.

What I do not understand is why if [itex]E(S,V,N)[/itex] does constant [itex]S, V, N[/itex] not mean constant [itex]E[/itex].

I've seen the derivation using the availability but I'm not sure why the supposed contradiction isn't one.
 
Last edited: