Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy Needed to Remove an Electron

1. Jun 15, 2008 #1

LHC

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the total energy needed to remove an electron from a hydrogen atom is 24.6 eV, what is the distance that the electron is from the nucleus?

2. Relevant equations

I'm not really sure....I know that the answer is [tex]r = 5.85\times10^-11[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

As you can see, I know the answer, but I'm just not sure how to get to it. So far, I have thought of applying this process:

[tex]E_{e} = \frac{kq_{1}q_{2}}{r}[/tex]

Technically, I get the answer if I sub in:[tex]q_{1}=q_{2}=e[/tex], [tex]E_{e}=24.6e[/tex], and solve for r.

Is this the correct process? I'm not really sure about the rationale behind it...lol I'm almost positive that there is another way.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What you've written is the expression for the electrostatic potential energy between two charges q_1 and q_2 separated by a distance r. Yes, this is what you want to use.

Make sure you put everything into SI units, which means you'll need to convert that energy of 24.6 electron-volts into Joules...

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3

LHC

Thanks for the help!

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer is correct. You can figure out the rationale from the definition of work. Work = Force x distance. Since the force changes with distance, you have to integrate (from beginning and end points, r to infinity):

[tex]W = \int_r^\infty F\cdot ds = \int_r^\infty -\frac{kQq}{r^2} dr = kQq/r - kQq/\infty[/tex]

AM

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Repeat of my above answer since Latex seems to be having problems:

[tex]W = \int_r^\infty F\cdot ds = \int_r^\infty \frac{kQq}{r^2} dr = \frac{kQq}{r} - \frac{kQq}{\infty}[/tex]

AM

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook