Energy of a Photon: Wavelength, Frequency, Intensity, Speed, Polarization

  • Thread starter Thread starter jakey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Photon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
jakey
Messages
51
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



the energy of the photon is determined by which properties:
a)wavelength
b)intensity of the beam
c)speed of pgoton
d)polarization
e)frequency

Homework Equations



E=hf=hc/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution



My first answer to this problem is E)frequency because of the equation E=hf. but then again, i thought about the equation c=lambdaf wherein the wavelength and frequency are related. And I'm confused because I only need to select an answer. would wavelength affect a photon's energy or is it dependent on its color? thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The wavelength of a photo would certainly effect its energy, just as frequency does! The question says "properties" so I don't see why you can't pick both.
 
Hey there,
The question does state which properties so as far as I can see, you can select more than one answer. Does your original question say to state only one?

The Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

P.S. I see someone got there just before I did. Sorry to repeat what's already been said.
 
Last edited:
The Bob said:
Hey there,
The question does state which properties so as far as I can see, you can select more than one answer. Does your original question say to state only one?

The Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

P.S. I see someone got there just before I did. Sorry to repeat what's already been said.

I'm not sure, it's just kinda weird because there are questions like:
energy in a coiled wire is stored as:
a)charge b) potential diff c) magnetic fiels d)both a and b e) both a and c

in this question there's a choice of both a and b/a and c which is not present there. obviously, for this question, the answer's e.
 
If the formulae says it is both, which they do, then go for both.

The Bob