1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of different energy levels of hydrogen atom

1. Nov 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hydrogen atom is in 2p state, how many different energy levels are there if a magnetic field of 0.10 T is applied to it, and what are their energies? Make sure spin is included.

2. Relevant equations
    U = -gmsμzB

g is the Lande-g factor, which is about -2 for electrons
    ms is spin, which is +/- 1/2
    μz is -μbm, which is the Bohr magneton times mass.
    Bohr magneton is equal to about 5.78x10-5
    The mass is, I assume, the mass of the electron, which is about 9.109x10-31

And the initial energy of the ground state is E0 is -13.6/n^2

n is 2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get 6 energy levels, because ml has -1,0,1 and each of those has a spin of +/- 1/2.

So what I did was just make the equation E0 + U, which gives me the initial energy, plus the energy that U provides. But I'm getting extremely small numbers for U. For example, for ml = 1, and the +1/2 spin, I'm getting, for U, 5.27x10-36. Added to E0, that's miniscule. Plus I'm always going to have a negative answer, since E0 is negative.

So I don't know why it's negative, and I'm not sure if my answers are correct, because they seem extremely small.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Because of spin-orbit coupling, ##m_l## and ##m_s## are not good quantum numbers. You need to look at the total angular momentum of the electron ##j## and its projection ##m_j##.

4. Nov 22, 2013 #3
    In what way are they not good quantum numbers?

For total angular momentum of the electron, do I use [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\hbar[/tex]

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted