Energy of different energy levels of hydrogen atom

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom is in 2p state, how many different energy levels are there if a magnetic field of 0.10 T is applied to it, and what are their energies? Make sure spin is included.

Homework Equations

U = -gmsμzB

g is the Lande-g factor, which is about -2 for electrons
ms is spin, which is +/- 1/2
μz is -μbm, which is the Bohr magneton times mass.
Bohr magneton is equal to about 5.78x10-5
The mass is, I assume, the mass of the electron, which is about 9.109x10-31

And the initial energy of the ground state is E0 is -13.6/n^2

n is 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get 6 energy levels, because ml has -1,0,1 and each of those has a spin of +/- 1/2.

So what I did was just make the equation E0 + U, which gives me the initial energy, plus the energy that U provides. But I'm getting extremely small numbers for U. For example, for ml = 1, and the +1/2 spin, I'm getting, for U, 5.27x10-36. Added to E0, that's miniscule. Plus I'm always going to have a negative answer, since E0 is negative.

So I don't know why it's negative, and I'm not sure if my answers are correct, because they seem extremely small.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

DrClaude
Mentor
I get 6 energy levels, because ml has -1,0,1 and each of those has a spin of +/- 1/2.
Because of spin-orbit coupling, ##m_l## and ##m_s## are not good quantum numbers. You need to look at the total angular momentum of the electron ##j## and its projection ##m_j##.

Because of spin-orbit coupling, ##m_l## and ##m_s## are not good quantum numbers. You need to look at the total angular momentum of the electron ##j## and its projection ##m_j##.

In what way are they not good quantum numbers?

For total angular momentum of the electron, do I use [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\hbar[/tex]

Thanks.