1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    COnsider electrons tunnelling through a 10eV barrier over a distance 0.001mm.
    Find E[itex]_{1}[/itex]. (The energy of the first tunnelling resonance.)

2. Relevant equations
    I have an equation for the tunnelling probability:
    T(E)=exp[itex]\left[-\sqrt{\frac{8m}{h^{2}}}\int(V(x)-E)^{1/2}dx\right][/itex]
    where the integral would go from [itex]x_{1}[/itex] to 0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would assume I use the above equation, where V(x) is given as the 10eV, m would be the mass of an electron (in eV?) and [itex]x_{1}[/itex] would be the distance of 0.001mm
    He said easiest way would be "numerically (i.e. using a spreadsheet, etc.)"
    So would I just set the tunnelling probability to 1 and solve for E? The first value being the first resonance energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    This is an exercise I have made some time ago; if I remember correctly, I think that the formula you have used is valid only when E<V; I think also that you should analyze what's going on for E>V and that in that case you can have resonances. I hope that what I remember is right :)
    Best,
    f.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook