1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of Quantum Tunneling

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given a metal-oxide-semiconductor device. I apply a positive voltage (30 V) on to the metal. Theoretically, the electrons should tunnel through the oxide. I want to calculate the oxide thickness for only 5% of electrons tunneling through the oxide.

2. Relevant equations

I used the equations from here:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/barr.html

where ψ=e-αx
    α = √(2m(U-E))/[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]

Also, I thought the probability of electrons tunneling is:
    |ψ|2 = e-2αx

3. The attempt at a solution

So I thought that E is electron energy and E≈kT, but my professor told me that it isn't true and didn't explain to me what it is, so I don't know what the electron energy is anymore.

Also, I thought U is the applied voltage. I made the voltage into energy by the equation: voltage = energy/charge so 30 V become 30eV

I don't know if I'm doing this right or if I'm putting the wrong numbers in the wrong place. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2
    Unfortunately you’re not using the right equations at the moment. The wavefunction you have is for electrons inside the barrier, so you are calculating the electron density a distance [itex]x[/itex] inside the barrier rather than the tunnelling probability. Moreover, the shape of the potential in your problem is different from that website –*can you see why?

Do you have any notes from lectures or your textbook that look more relevant to this situation?

4. Aug 25, 2012 #3
    I'm sorry but I don't have resources that is relevant to the situation.

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4
    I can't help with the math/physics other than to say that when measuring gate oxide breakdown characteristics it was always referred to as Fowler-Nordheim tunneling. Real gate oxides would have defects and be worn out by tunneling??? so the practical figure for gate oxide thickness is probably higher than the theoretical. I hope that offers some help, part of my motivation for commenting on an area I can rightly profess ignorance in is to see what the answer actually is.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook