Energy of resulting Gamma Rays after particle annihilation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Fronzbot
Messages
58
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electron and a positron are moving side by side in the +x direction at 0.50c when they annihilate each other creating two gamma rays. What is the energy of each photon?


Homework Equations


(mc2 + K+) + (mc2 + K-) = E1 + E2


The Attempt at a Solution



I solved out that K = mc2 = 0.511MeV ( [tex]\gamma[/tex] - 1 ) where [tex]\gamma[/tex] = 1.155. Therefore K should equal 79.1keV. Plug this into the equation up in that "relevant equations" section and I get E1 + E2 = 1.18MeV.

I know the answer is E1 = .885 MeV in the +x direction and E2 = .295 MeV in the -x direction as my prof gave us the answers. These values verify that the calculations I performed earlier are correct.

However, I don't know how to obtain the answers. It seems like it should be stupidly simple, but I just can't figure it out. I tried using hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex] = E to solve for wavelength and then tried plugging stuff in again to get energy but that doesn't work. And even if it did, how would I know direction? If anyone can just give me that slight push in the right direction I'd be very grateful!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have one equation and two unknowns (E_1, E_2). So you might want to use conservation of momentum to help solve for both unknowns.