1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Problem Involving Spring Force

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. As a 1.7×104 jet plane lands on an aircraft carrier, its tail hook snags a cable to slow it down. The cable is attached to a spring with spring constant 6.0×104 . If the spring stretches 31 to stop the plane, what was the plane's landing speed? (Answer in m/s)

2. Relevant equations
    Fsp=k[tex]\Delta[/tex]s where k is the spring constant and [tex]\Delta[/tex]s is the change in position.
    Also possibly the Equation for kinetic energy
    K=1/2mv2
    And also posibly
    vf2=v i2+2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]s
    where v is velocity and a is acceleration

Also the conservation of energy and momentum equations are possible along with f=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the spring force to be 1860000 N and then I lost where to go exactly. I tried to use F=ma to find acceleration, and then use kinematics (vf2=v i2+2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]s) because v final should be zero, but I got the wrong answer. My incorrect answer was 82m/s.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Maybe consider using the KE and PE of spring?

1/2*m*v2 = 1/2*k*x2

v2 = k*x2/m = 60,000*312/17,000

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook