[Energy] Work on a vertically thrown object

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a person throws a rock into the air and the question asks for the height the rock will reach, taking into account air resistance. The solution involves calculating the work done by the person throwing the rock, taking into account the energy lost due to air resistance. The correct answer is determined by subtracting the energy lost from the total work done, and this gives the potential energy at the top of the rock's flight, which can be used to calculate the height reached.
brbrett

Homework Statement

A person does 115 J of work in throwing a 0.325 kg rock straight up into the air. How high will the rock get, assuming there is 20 J of air resistance?

Homework Equations

From what I formulated: W = ΔPE
The answer says E1 = E2, but I think that's the exact same as the formula I used.

The Attempt at a Solution

W = ΔPE
115= mgh - 0
115 = (0.325)(9.8)h - 20
h = 42.386

It looked right in my head, but the problem is that the answer differ in the placement of the -20 J.
This is the correct answer given to me:
115 - 20 = Ep2
95 = mgh
95 = (0.325)(9.8)h
h = 29.83
30 J (Significant figured)

I don't understand why the -20 J should be placed with the work being done (the left side of the equation). I appreciate any attempt at helping me understand the reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
The air resistance to which they refer is that which occurs between the instant the stone leaves the person's hand and the top of its flight. So the person has imparted 115J of energy to the rock, of which 20J is lost through air resistance on the upward journey, and the remainder is converted to potential energy.

Another way to look at it is that the air resistance pushes downwards on the stone, while the person, while throwing, was pushing upwards. So the work done by the air must have opposite sign to that done by the person.

Likes CWatters and Chestermiller
Alright, I think I understand. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the formula for calculating the work done on a vertically thrown object?

The formula for calculating the work done on a vertically thrown object is W = mgh, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

2. How does the work done on a vertically thrown object change if the height is increased?

If the height of the object is increased, the work done on the object will also increase. This is because the potential energy of the object increases with height, and therefore, more work is required to raise the object to a greater height.

3. Is the work done on a vertically thrown object affected by the mass of the object?

Yes, the work done on a vertically thrown object is affected by the mass of the object. The greater the mass of the object, the more work is required to raise it to a certain height.

4. Can the work done on a vertically thrown object be negative?

Yes, the work done on a vertically thrown object can be negative. This occurs when the object is thrown downwards, and the force of gravity does negative work on the object. This means that the object loses potential energy as it falls, resulting in negative work.

5. How is the work-energy theorem related to work on a vertically thrown object?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the case of a vertically thrown object, the initial kinetic energy is zero, and the final kinetic energy is determined by the height and speed of the object at its peak. Therefore, the work done on the object is equal to its change in kinetic energy, which is also equal to its change in potential energy.