Energy Work Problem, all algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block being released from a height on an inclined ramp to land in a hole. The unknowns for this problem are x, y, and theta, and the solution involves finding the initial velocity using energy and then using kinematics equations to solve for the height. However, solving the problem using energy may not be the most efficient method and using kinematics may be easier.
enkerecz

Homework Statement

A small block is placed at height h on a frictionless ramp inclined at an angle theta. Upon being released, the block slides down the ramp and then falls to the floor (a distance y below the base of the ramp). A small hole is located a horizontal distance x from the end of the ramp.

From what height, h , should the block be released in order to land in the hole? Note: that the unknowns for this problem are x, y, and theta. Your answer should be an algebraic expression that starts with h=

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by using the fact that
mg(h+y)=(1/2)mv^2
working it out to
h= (v^2/2g)-Y

my issue is finding v^2, I know that (2gh)^1/2 is the final velocity for both mgh and mgy.. I need to eliminate the h somehow because it is on both sides, but I am unsure how to do so. I have used trig, but am having no luck. I already solved this problem once using kinematics, and found it to be much easier. Any help solving this with energy would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi enkerecz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
enkerecz said:
… I already solved this problem once using kinematics, and found it to be much easier. Any help solving this with energy would be appreciated.

(how did you manage to solve this without using x ? :confused:)

I don't think energy will give you anything more than the velocity on leaving the ramp: after that, you will have to use the standard constant acceleration equations. :smile:

What is energy work problem in algebra?

Energy work problem in algebra is a mathematical concept that involves using equations and formulas to solve problems related to energy and work. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the amount of work done or the amount of energy expended in a given situation.

How do you solve energy work problems using algebra?

To solve energy work problems using algebra, you first need to identify the relevant equations and variables for the given situation. Then, you can use algebraic manipulations to rearrange the equations and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use appropriate conversion factors when necessary.

What are some common types of energy work problems in algebra?

Some common types of energy work problems in algebra include calculating the work done by a force, finding the amount of kinetic or potential energy in a system, and determining the power output or efficiency of a machine. These problems often involve using formulas such as W=Fd, KE=1/2mv^2, and PE=mgh.

How does energy conservation apply to energy work problems in algebra?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. In energy work problems, this means that the total amount of energy before and after a situation should be equal. This principle can be applied to check the accuracy of solutions obtained using algebraic methods.

What are some tips for solving energy work problems in algebra?

Some tips for solving energy work problems in algebra include carefully reading and understanding the given problem, identifying all relevant equations and variables, using appropriate units, and checking your answer for reasonableness. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual representations to better understand the situation.