1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Work Problem, all algebra

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small block is placed at height h on a frictionless ramp inclined at an angle theta. Upon being released, the block slides down the ramp and then falls to the floor (a distance y below the base of the ramp). A small hole is located a horizontal distance x from the end of the ramp.

From what height, h , should the block be released in order to land in the hole? Note: that the unknowns for this problem are x, y, and theta. Your answer should be an algebraic expression that starts with h=

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I started out by using the fact that
    working it out to
    h= (v^2/2g)-Y

my issue is finding v^2, I know that (2gh)^1/2 is the final velocity for both mgh and mgy.. I need to eliminate the h somehow because it is on both sides, but I am unsure how to do so. I have used trig, but am having no luck. I already solved this problem once using kinematics, and found it to be much easier. Any help solving this with energy would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi enkerecz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    (how did you manage to solve this without using x ? :confused:)

I don't think energy will give you anything more than the velocity on leaving the ramp: after that, you will have to use the standard constant acceleration equations. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook