Engine oil flow/pressure restriction

• Automotive
  • Thread starter katman1260
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello everyone, My first post was deleted by admin. Anyways, the question is back for those who have not read it.

I am installing a turbo system onto a motorcycle with an oil pressure range far too low for the turbo. I have develloped a restricter that has boosted the pressures to where they need to be but I have a question.

I have a main oil feed restrictor diameter of 5.5mm. It is feeding a 4.25mm turbo oil line as well as two other 4mm feeds. This restrictor has boosted oil pressure 500%. The 5.5mm inlet is fed from the oil pump, the 4mm outlets feed the engine, 4.25mm the turbo.

My question is, does the main 5.5mm feed diameter effect pressure/flow for outlet feed lines in a closed system? or does it just have to be larger than the other feed diameters?
see pic. Forgive the caveman drawing!

http://www.suzuki-katana.com/forums/oil500.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

160 views and no comments? I guess this is too easy for this board and you'all are board with the question. I'll wait, someone will take pitty on me.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Your post is too vague. A schematic would be most helpful. We don't need drawings of the physical part but something that shows where the flow goes and where the restrictions are would be helpful. I can't tell from your post exactly where the restrictors are in the system. Also, how is the system prior to modification?

The 280zx turbo lives with about 15psi at idle for hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'm not sure how a restrictor can boost pressure can you post a schematic of what you have.