Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive Engine oil flow/pressure restriction

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone, My first post was deleted by admin. Anyways, the question is back for those who have not read it.

I am installing a turbo system onto a motorcycle with an oil pressure range far too low for the turbo. I have develloped a restricter that has boosted the pressures to where they need to be but I have a question.

I have a main oil feed restrictor diameter of 5.5mm. It is feeding a 4.25mm turbo oil line as well as two other 4mm feeds. This restrictor has boosted oil pressure 500%. The 5.5mm inlet is fed from the oil pump, the 4mm outlets feed the engine, 4.25mm the turbo.

My question is, does the main 5.5mm feed diameter effect pressure/flow for outlet feed lines in a closed system? or does it just have to be larger than the other feed diameters?
    see pic. Forgive the caveman drawing!

http://www.suzuki-katana.com/forums/oil500.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2
    160 views and no comments? I guess this is too easy for this board and you'all are board with the question. I'll wait, someone will take pitty on me.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your post is too vague. A schematic would be most helpful. We don't need drawings of the physical part but something that shows where the flow goes and where the restrictions are would be helpful. I can't tell from your post exactly where the restrictors are in the system. Also, how is the system prior to modification?

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4
    The 280zx turbo lives with about 15psi at idle for hundreds of thousands of miles.

6. Oct 2, 2012 #5
    I'm not sure how a restrictor can boost pressure can you post a schematic of what you have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook