Engineer - Partial Differential Equations

In summary, if you are not specifically requested to take a PDE course, you don't need to worry about it being a requirement for your engineering degree. However, if you want to work in a complex engineering field, you will need to take a course in PDEs.
jubs
Hi, my engineering degree does not require a partial differential course. However, one of my calculus professors suggested it may be important when applying for a masters. I was thinking of taking this course and maybe special functions... would it really be useful? It would be a lot of work to squeeze this in so I need some good advice before deciding this. Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of engineering are you doing?

I always feel that the more math you know, the better off you'll be.
Such a course may be the thing that distinguishes your application from the rest that merely did what they were required to do.

This might be enlightening to you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method

Mechanical Engineering with an Automotive Option, however I am leaning towards a Materials Option instead.

BTW I have taken a numerical analysis course in which we started some very basic FEA methods. I found it interesting... I know special functions touches this subject somewhat. Is there any courses which can advance FEA knowledge further?

Last edited:
well, I don't see how you could handle fluid dynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer without partial differentials. I would stongly suggest you take the course.

Regards,

Nenad

jubs said:
Hi, my engineering degree does not require a partial differential course. However, one of my calculus professors suggested it may be important when applying for a masters. I was thinking of taking this course and maybe special functions... would it really be useful? It would be a lot of work to squeeze this in so I need some good advice before deciding this. Thanks for any input.

On behalf of the PF Eng. gurú award received, I cannot admit as an engineer as one who have not passed through the PDE torture. If you are not requested to take one PDE course, then you won't learn too many important things. An engineer without having taken a PDE course is like a soldier who didn't fight in the field of battle, those who remain in the office sat.

I strongly recommend the book of Haberman about this stuff.

I think the required math for an engineering degree is enough. :P I need calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, diffEQ, prob/stats, and avd. eng. math. I may take linear algebra just for the hell of it, but no more!

Actually I have taken one fluid dynamics course already, don't remember much PDE, only regular DE. Maybe that is left for the second part of the course. Basically my University doesn't think I need it, that's why I don't have the course, but like you guys I am thinking it is important. Maybe I will see what I can do about picking it up. What about special functions? John.

jubs said:
Actually I have taken one fluid dynamics course already, don't remember much PDE, only regular DE. Maybe that is left for the second part of the course. Basically my University doesn't think I need it, that's why I don't have the course, but like you guys I am thinking it is important. Maybe I will see what I can do about picking it up. What about special functions? John.

As an engineering student, I think there are more important classes you could take other than PDE. Talk to an engineering advisor.

jubs said:

If you can see yourself getting involved in any of the "complex" engineering fields (anything that has to rely on math) you're going to take PDEs in one form or another, would suggest you start early. I don't know what your 'material option' contains (?), but in many instances it doesn't alleviate the 'requirements'.

Hi Jubs,
I'm a Mechanical Engineer, too, so I hope my experience can help. I've found that not all engineers really use or need PDEs. It mostly depends on whether they design physical systems. In our field, a good understanding of PDEs and associated numerical methods (FD, FEA, BE) is definitely required if you are going to work in fluid dynamics (e.g., engine design) or complex structures (e.g., crash simulation). On the other hand, if you are going to work in areas like logistics or management, you are better off with a good course on optimization.
Even better if you can have both...

OK thanks, I am going to try and take this course. I am really interested in the mathematical demanding aspect of engineering. I just need to figure out how to squeeze it in. That's the problem with engineering. Thanks all for the input.

I don't know if this helps, but all my friends who are ME's are required to take PDE's. So it may be a good idea. However, I'm an EE and I'm not required to take the class. So it definitely depends on what your major and focus is.

Good luck.

Maxwell said:
I don't know if this helps, but all my friends who are ME's are required to take PDE's. So it may be a good idea. However, I'm an EE and I'm not required to take the class. So it definitely depends on what your major and focus is.

Good luck.

You're the first person I know who knows MEs that are REQUIRED to take PDE. What school? Seems like there would be more useful classes to take in an ME curriculum than PDE. Any PDE that you need could be picked up along the way, I would imagine.

I'm a mechanical engineering student, and I am required to learn PDE as well.

leright said:
You're the first person I know who knows MEs that are REQUIRED to take PDE. What school? Seems like there would be more useful classes to take in an ME curriculum than PDE. Any PDE that you need could be picked up along the way, I would imagine.

I am the second one. PDE is a mandatory course for ME, EEE and AE in my college.

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time and space, and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What types of problems can be solved using PDEs?

PDEs can be used to solve a variety of problems, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in image and signal processing, finance, and many other applications.

3. What is the role of engineers in solving PDEs?

Engineers play a crucial role in solving PDEs by using their knowledge of mathematics and physics to develop models and simulations that can accurately describe and predict real-world phenomena. They also use various numerical methods and computer software to solve PDEs and analyze their solutions.

4. Why are PDEs important in scientific research and development?

PDEs are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting complex systems in the physical world. They allow scientists and engineers to model and simulate real-world problems, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in technology and other fields.

5. What are some challenges in solving PDEs?

Solving PDEs can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the need for sophisticated mathematical and computational techniques. Additionally, the boundary and initial conditions of a problem may not always be well-defined, making it difficult to obtain accurate solutions. There is also a trade-off between accuracy and computational efficiency in solving PDEs, which can present challenges in practical applications.