Engineering career with good job prospects

In summary, the conversation discusses potential job security in the engineering field in light of predicted economic downturn and the variety of engineering degrees available at the University of Pittsburgh. The experts recommend focusing on a field that is of personal interest rather than solely on job prospects, as well as obtaining a general engineering education for versatility in the job market. Chemical engineering and materials science, including metallurgy, are mentioned as potential areas for job growth. Ultimately, the consensus is that engineering as a whole is a safe bet for future job prospects.
konto77
So today, in high school, my Econ teacher told us that a few reputable economists are forecasting 20% unemployment by 2012.

And I was wondering which engineering degree would be the safest or least vulnerable to such a rise in unemployment.

The engineering degrees available at the college (University of Pittsburgh) i'll be attending this Fall are:

Bioengineering
Chemical and Petroleum engineering

Civil and environmental engineering
Electrical engineering
Computer eng.

Industrial eng.
Mechanical eng. and Materials science

*the ones that look most interesting to me are highlighted.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering is one of things that people will always need. The unemployment statistics you are talking about are probably more related to production jobs (in the engineering world). So there may be strain on the market, but a good engineer can work almost anywhere, independant of their field. I know of mechanical engineers working in banks, of aeronautical engineers working in commercial product design (me :wink:) and in the petro chemical industry and chemical engineers working for car companies.

Engineering is a good choice and I think that you should focus rather on a field that you will enjoy than on one that promises the best jobs etc. A lot of my friends in high school started going into IT because there was so much demand for it in the late nineties, but they became a little unstuck when the market saturated and there were just too many ITers. Then you have a bunch of guys that studied something they didn't really want to, because they wanted the promised job security and then ended up having to study further in other fields to get a job and were ultimately unhappy.

Chemical and petroleum engineering is big at the moment, I'm not sure for how much longer. Bio-engineering I think has a good steady market. Electrical engineering is probably a safe bet with a lot more things going digital these days and electric cars and other vehicles coming more and more to the forefront. Computer engineering... not sure. Mech Eng and material science is pretty stable too and the job opportunities are diverse.

hope that helps :smile:

If those "reputable economists" were so smart then why did they not predict the economic downturn. Economists seem to only know what's happening after it happens.

plutoisacomet said:
... Economists seem to only know what's happening after it happens.
Really? I just realized it after I heard from you!

macarino said:
Really? I just realized it after I heard from you!

Yeah... My econ teacher says that economists are mostly full of wind.

Redargon.

thanks for the response.

Isn't chemical engineering also a safe bet though?

By the way does Materials Science include metallurgy? Do you guys know what kind of jobs metallurgists get?

Engineering as a whole is a safe bet...the primary driver in pretty much all industries in modern times is dependent on the development of technologies and I'm sure you hear it a lot but we're always going to have a need for engineers.

Especially even more so around now, given the lack of graduating engineers in the U.S.

Materials science definitely includes metallurgy. Composite materials is another hot area of materials science, and will remain so for some time to come.

Hi Konto,

The answer depends a lot more on the industry than on what your major is. Some
industries (like the current auto industry) will be transformed in 20 years as the
products evolve. Others like the composites industry will grow but not change
dramatically as the need grows.

If you are concerned about employment you should focus on a more general program
like mechanical or electrical and let specialization come later if you want to pursue
graduate school.

You can't go wrong with a classic engineering education. As someone said above
you can work in almost any industry doing almost anything.

Good luck,
Michael Brit

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What kind of engineering career has the best job prospects?

The engineering field is constantly evolving and in high demand, making it difficult to pinpoint one specific career with the best job prospects. However, some of the top engineering careers with good job prospects include software engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and civil engineering.

2. What education and skills are necessary for a successful engineering career?

Most engineering careers require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. In addition, strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are essential for a successful engineering career. Other important skills include communication, teamwork, and adaptability.

3. What industries offer the most job opportunities for engineers?

Engineers are needed in a wide range of industries, including technology, healthcare, energy, construction, and transportation. However, the technology industry is currently experiencing high demand for engineers and is expected to continue growing in the future.

4. What can I do to increase my chances of getting a job as an engineer?

In addition to obtaining a strong education and developing necessary skills, gaining practical experience through internships or co-op programs can greatly increase your chances of getting a job as an engineer. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated on industry developments can also be beneficial.

5. What is the job outlook for engineers in the next 10 years?

The job outlook for engineers is expected to be positive in the next 10 years, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029. This is due to the increasing need for technological advancements and infrastructure improvements in various industries.