Engineering degree to learn about music synthesis?

In summary, a newcomer to a forum is seeking advice on pursuing a career in music synthesis through an academic plunge into the engineering field. They have a degree in biochemistry but dropped out to travel and are now returning to finish their biology degree. They are considering a minor in electrical engineering to learn more about analog equipment and circuitry. Other forum members suggest that EE, specifically signal processing, would be the best area of study for this purpose.
Koeeoaddi
hey everybody, I am a newcomer here, just stumbled upon this forum whilst reading about different university programs. i would really appreciate any advice regarding an academic plunge into the engineering field as a means to learn more about music synthesis, particularly analog synthesizers and pedals.

i went to university for two years working on a biochem degree but dropped out to travel and cultivate some life experience. i am 24 now and i have decided to go back and finish my biology degree with hopes of getting into med school. i will be attending Cal State in Chico next spring. i am also a musician; i would consider music my greatest passion, and there is a strong impetus for me to learn more about analog equipment and circuitry and signal paths and the like.

so I am thinking about a minor in electrical engineering. i don't know much about the field and I am not clear if EE would be the best area of study for me or if there are other types of engineering programs which are better suited to my aim. any opinions or advice would be awesome!

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to learn about analog circuitry well, then studying EE would seem to be the right choice.

Definitely EE, specifically Signal Processing

ok, awesome, thanks ya'll for confirming this; i reckon it might have sounded like an obvious question but i really know next to nothing about specific fields of engineering.

I understand your desire to learn more about music synthesis and analog equipment. It's great that you have a passion for both music and engineering, and it's definitely possible to combine the two.

An electrical engineering degree can certainly provide you with a strong foundation in understanding circuitry and signal paths, which are essential in music synthesis. However, there are also other engineering fields that could be beneficial for your goals, such as audio engineering or acoustical engineering.

I would recommend doing some research on different engineering programs and their curriculum to see which one aligns more with your interests and goals. You could also consider reaching out to professors or students in these programs to get a better understanding of what they cover and how they relate to music synthesis.

In addition to a formal degree, there are also many resources available online and in books that can help you learn more about analog equipment and circuitry. It's always a good idea to supplement your education with self-study and hands-on experience.

Overall, I think an engineering degree could definitely help you in your pursuit of learning more about music synthesis, but it's important to choose a program that fits your specific interests and goals. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What is an engineering degree in music synthesis?

An engineering degree in music synthesis is a specialized program that combines the principles of engineering with the art of music creation. It focuses on the technical aspects of creating and manipulating sound, such as using electronic devices and computer software to generate and modify musical sounds.

2. What skills can I expect to learn in an engineering degree in music synthesis?

Some of the skills you can expect to learn in this program include audio signal processing, digital sound design, programming and coding for music applications, and hardware and software integration for music production. You will also gain a thorough understanding of music theory and composition.

3. What are the career options for someone with an engineering degree in music synthesis?

Graduates with an engineering degree in music synthesis can pursue careers in various industries, such as music production, audio engineering, sound design for film and television, video game audio, and electronic music production. They may also work as software developers or engineers for music technology companies.

4. Is a background in music necessary to pursue an engineering degree in music synthesis?

While a background in music can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge or experience in music to pursue this degree. The program will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to create and manipulate sound, even if you have no prior experience with music production.

5. What makes an engineering degree in music synthesis different from a traditional music degree?

An engineering degree in music synthesis focuses more on the technical and scientific aspects of music creation, while a traditional music degree may place a greater emphasis on performance and musical theory. This program combines the two disciplines to provide a unique and specialized education in music technology and production.