Engineering Graduate School w/ Physics BS

In summary: Aerospace is a very specialized field and it may be difficult to find a place that will take a physics major without aerospace coursework.
the_kid
I know it's possible to get an engineering graduate degree with an undergrad degree in physics. However, I'm not sure about specifics. Is it possible to go into different fields (Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, etc.)? Also, do people typically have more luck getting into MS or PhD programs? I'm really looking for any available information regarding this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ditto everything the OP said, but may I add 1 more question:
Im currently a junior in the same position (assuming OP is a phys major), I'm wondering if/ what kind of REU or internship I might look for this summer if I wanted to gear it twoards engineering, even though I am a BS in physics

the_kid said:
I know it's possible to get an engineering graduate degree with an undergrad degree in physics. However, I'm not sure about specifics. Is it possible to go into different fields (Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, etc.)? Also, do people typically have more luck getting into MS or PhD programs? I'm really looking for any available information regarding this. Thanks!

Your best bet would be to contact various graduate engineering departments. Usually, you can expect to be required to take make-up courses to cover what you missed, before you start graduate level work.

I'd add to lisab's comments by noting that some "newer" programs in engineering (say biomedical, electro-optical, materials, etc) may be more open to various backgrounds than the established ones (say ME, EE, ChemE, Aero-) because there are fewer schools that offer undergraduate degrees in the specific sub-field. Typically these programs will state this kind of openness on their "perspective student" webpages or literature.

Also, depending one where you are in your undergraduate education, I'd advise to start to take some upper-level electives through the department of engineering in which you are most interested. Strong performance in an upper-level elective in the field would show you've solidified your interest AND that you can perform at the same level as someone with a traditional preparation.

i read in sydney university that it most cases you need a year extra and everything weill be okay

Thanks for all of the replies! Here is a hypothetical: I complete a physics major at a top 10 school, including all of the standard coursework (Advanced Mechanics, Electrodynamics, Statistical Mechanics, two semesters of Quantum) plus some more advanced coursework, and I take some engineering electives (Fluid Mechanics and Theoretical Fluid Mechanics), would I have a chance at top Aerospace schools to do aerodynamics research?

I do believe that top aero- programs are a bit difficult to get into and may not guarantee funding. This would be based on my experience at CU Boulder (which is according to its website presently ranked "4" in Aerospace)... where I wasn't "in" the program, but did know some graduate students in the program (who were sometimes working real crap jobs around town to scrape by living expenses... even if their tuition was covered... and I'm not sure if even that was...).

While this one data point is certainly small (and you should look for others), I'd be least optimistic about the field of aerospace (especially since there are some aerospace undergrad degrees around).

1. What is the difference between an engineering graduate school and a physics graduate school?

An engineering graduate school focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to design and create solutions to real-world problems. A physics graduate school, on the other hand, focuses on the theoretical and experimental aspects of understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. Can I pursue an engineering graduate degree with a physics undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an engineering graduate degree with a physics undergraduate degree. However, some engineering programs may require you to take additional courses to supplement your physics background and build a strong foundation in engineering principles.

3. Are there specific engineering fields that are more suitable for physics graduates?

Physics graduates may find it easier to transition into fields such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and materials science and engineering, as these fields have a strong foundation in physics principles.

4. Will my physics undergraduate degree be enough to get into an engineering graduate school?

It depends on the specific requirements of the engineering graduate school you are applying to. Some programs may require you to have a certain GPA or take specific courses in engineering before being admitted. It is important to research the requirements of the programs you are interested in to ensure you meet the criteria.

5. Can I apply for an engineering graduate degree even if I do not have a strong background in math?

While a strong background in math is beneficial for pursuing an engineering graduate degree, it is not always a requirement. Some programs may offer remedial courses to help you build a strong foundation in math before starting your graduate studies. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of math concepts to be successful in an engineering graduate program.