Engineering Management - yay or nay?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering and is wondering if they should also pursue Engineering Management. They are curious if a degree in EM will improve their chances of becoming a project manager or if experience is more valuable. They are seeking advice and it is suggested to stick with the technical aspect for their Master's and earn a PMP certificate while working for better career opportunities.
deus_ex_86
As I get closer to finishing my Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, I'm wondering more and more in what direction I should go for my Master's. I know I want to pursue Renewable and Clean Energy to some extent, but I was wondering if I should also consider Engineering Management, as well. Do you think that would be worthwhile, or should I stick to pretty much the "technical" aspect of the field? Would a degree in EM boost my odds of landing a project manager position, or is that something that only experience can give? If it won't help my career, I don't want to pursue it, obviously, so I was just wondering if anyone had any advice.

Thanks much

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work experience and performance will be more important. I would stick with the technical for your masters.

Then, when you are working, earn a Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate.

1. What is Engineering Management?

Engineering Management is a field that combines engineering principles with business and management skills. It involves planning, organizing, and coordinating engineering projects and teams, while also considering financial, legal, and ethical aspects.

2. Is Engineering Management a good career choice?

It depends on your interests and skills. If you have a strong background in engineering and enjoy problem-solving and team management, then Engineering Management can be a fulfilling career path. It also offers opportunities for career growth and higher salaries.

3. What skills are required for Engineering Management?

Some essential skills for Engineering Management include strong technical knowledge, project management skills, leadership and communication skills, and a good understanding of business and financial concepts.

4. What are the job prospects for Engineering Management graduates?

The job prospects for Engineering Management graduates are generally positive, as there is a growing demand for professionals who can bridge the gap between engineering and business. They can find employment in various industries, including manufacturing, construction, and technology companies.

5. Can I pursue a career in Engineering Management with a non-engineering background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in Engineering Management with a non-engineering background. However, you may need to acquire some technical knowledge and skills through additional coursework or on-the-job training to be successful in this field.