1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Materials Recommended Textbook

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    Can anyone recommend me a good Engineering Materials textbook? Here is the course description:

Introduces the physics and chemistry of engineering materials including metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites. Covers the relationships among the processing, internal structure, material properties, and applications. Internal structure includes crystal structure, imperfections, and phases. Processing includes annealing, precipitation hardening, and heat treatment of steel. Properties include mechanical properties and corrosion behavior. Also considers current industrial needs.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2
    I would have a look at Materials Science and Engineering by William Callister, find a preview of the ebook and see if you like it, I thought it was very well structured but probably not very in depth.

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    William Callister is the core materials science textbook at many unis in the UK.

He has written or co-written several versions of the Textbook, and it has been floating around for about 20 years so there should be plenty of old copies out there. All of them cover the same basics (I've got 2 variants myself - long story...). Shackelton is the other major one.

As to the "current industrial needs" bit, i don't know. If you mean that it looks at Type-II superconductors, then fine, but it all depends on how current you want to be. Personally, the internet is a much better place to find out this type of stuff. Textbooks are immediately out of date on this.

If you are looking for mechanics, "Engineering materials 1" by Ashby and Jones is the standard one we use (goes into stress-strain curves, dislocations in a bit more detail, creep, fracture, etc). It is just a bit more focused on the mechanical side. In saying that, Dartmouth put a really good old textbook online for this stuff

http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/defmech/

book mark it for life. it's a god-send.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook