Engineering Materials Recommended Textbook

In summary: Materials Science and Engineering by William Callister, find a preview of the ebook and see if you like it, I thought it was very well structured but probably not very in depth.William Callister is the core materials science textbook at many unis in the UK.He has written or co-written several versions of the Textbook, and it has been floating around for about 20 years so there should be plenty of old copies out there. All of them cover the same basics (I've got 2 variants myself - long story...). Shackelton is the other major one.As to the "current industrial needs" bit, i don't know. If you mean that it looks at Type-II
eurekameh
Can anyone recommend me a good Engineering Materials textbook? Here is the course description:

Introduces the physics and chemistry of engineering materials including metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites. Covers the relationships among the processing, internal structure, material properties, and applications. Internal structure includes crystal structure, imperfections, and phases. Processing includes annealing, precipitation hardening, and heat treatment of steel. Properties include mechanical properties and corrosion behavior. Also considers current industrial needs.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
eurekameh said:
Can anyone recommend me a good Engineering Materials textbook? Here is the course description:

Introduces the physics and chemistry of engineering materials including metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites. Covers the relationships among the processing, internal structure, material properties, and applications. Internal structure includes crystal structure, imperfections, and phases. Processing includes annealing, precipitation hardening, and heat treatment of steel. Properties include mechanical properties and corrosion behavior. Also considers current industrial needs.

Thanks.

I would have a look at Materials Science and Engineering by William Callister, find a preview of the ebook and see if you like it, I thought it was very well structured but probably not very in depth.

William Callister is the core materials science textbook at many unis in the UK.

He has written or co-written several versions of the Textbook, and it has been floating around for about 20 years so there should be plenty of old copies out there. All of them cover the same basics (I've got 2 variants myself - long story...). Shackelton is the other major one.

As to the "current industrial needs" bit, i don't know. If you mean that it looks at Type-II superconductors, then fine, but it all depends on how current you want to be. Personally, the internet is a much better place to find out this type of stuff. Textbooks are immediately out of date on this.

If you are looking for mechanics, "Engineering materials 1" by Ashby and Jones is the standard one we use (goes into stress-strain curves, dislocations in a bit more detail, creep, fracture, etc). It is just a bit more focused on the mechanical side. In saying that, Dartmouth put a really good old textbook online for this stuff

http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/defmech/

book mark it for life. it's a god-send.

1. What is the best textbook for learning about engineering materials?

The best textbook for learning about engineering materials will depend on your specific interests and needs. However, some commonly recommended textbooks include "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch, "Engineering Materials: Properties and Selection" by Kenneth G. Budinski and Michael K. Budinski, and "Materials Selection in Mechanical Design" by Michael F. Ashby.

2. Are there any textbooks that focus specifically on a particular type of engineering material?

Yes, there are many textbooks that focus on specific types of engineering materials, such as "Engineering Materials 1: An Introduction to Properties, Applications, and Design" by Michael F. Ashby, which focuses on metals, polymers, and ceramics; "Composite Materials: Science and Engineering" by Krishan K. Chawla, which focuses on composite materials; and "Introduction to Engineering Materials" by Vernon John, which focuses on materials used in civil engineering.

3. Do any of these textbooks come with supplemental materials or resources?

Yes, many of these textbooks come with supplemental materials or resources, such as online learning platforms, practice problems, and instructor resources. It is recommended to check the publisher's website or contact the author to inquire about available resources.

4. Are there any textbooks that are specifically geared towards beginners?

Yes, there are textbooks that are specifically geared towards beginners, such as "Materials Science and Engineering: A First Course" by Raghavan V. and "Materials for Engineering" by Larry Horath. These textbooks provide a basic introduction to engineering materials and are often used in introductory courses.

5. Are there any textbooks that cover both theoretical and practical aspects of engineering materials?

Yes, many textbooks cover both theoretical and practical aspects of engineering materials. These include "Engineering Materials 2: An Introduction to Microstructures, Processing, and Design" by Michael F. Ashby, which covers both theoretical and practical concepts in materials science and engineering, and "Engineering Materials: Applied Research and Evaluation Methods" by Frank H. Netter, which focuses on the practical applications of materials in engineering design and research.