Engineering Physics to Robotics/Electrical Engineering

In summary, the individual is wondering how graduate schools in Electrical Engineering, with a focus on Robotics and Automation, would view an undergraduate degree in Engineering Physics. They have a 3.96 GPA, 1 REU, 1 paper, and 1 poster presentation, as well as being President of the Physics Club. They expect to do well on the GRE and have strong letters of recommendation. However, their biggest weakness may be coming from a small school with little reputation outside of their state. They are advised to aim high and apply for relevant fellowships to increase their chances.
ShawK
Hi Everyone, I was wondering how Electrical Engineering graduate schools particularly concentrating in Robotics and Automation would view an undergraduate degree in Engineering Physics? I just wanted to gauge how my chances would be. I have a 3.96 GPA with 1 REU, 1 paper and 1 poster presentation. I am President of the Physics Club and will have very good letters. I expect to get around 170Q and 165V in the GRE (hopefully) based on practice tests if that has any value. My biggest weakness apart from my undergraduate degree would be that I come from a small LAC with nonexistent reputation outside of my state.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ShawK said:
Hi Everyone, I was wondering how Electrical Engineering graduate schools particularly concentrating in Robotics and Automation would view an undergraduate degree in Engineering Physics? I just wanted to gauge how my chances would be. I have a 3.96 GPA with 1 REU, 1 paper and 1 poster presentation. I am President of the Physics Club and will have very good letters. I expect to get around 170Q and 165V in the GRE (hopefully) based on practice tests if that has any value. My biggest weakness apart from my undergraduate degree would be that I come from a small LAC with nonexistent reputation outside of my state.
Thanks

You sound like a super strong candidate. I think you'll do great. Aim high and make sure you apply for all the relevant fellowships (NSF, NDSEG, etc).

Thanks for the reply guys. @analogdesign I am just very nervous because of the non-existent reputation of my program and school (LAC).

for your question! I can say that your undergraduate degree in Engineering Physics would be viewed positively by graduate schools in Robotics and Automation. Engineering Physics is a highly interdisciplinary field that combines principles from both engineering and physics, making it a great foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in Robotics or Electrical Engineering. Your strong GPA, research experience, and involvement in the Physics Club also demonstrate your dedication and passion for the field, which will be attractive to graduate schools.

While the reputation of your undergraduate institution may not be as well-known as larger universities, it is important to focus on the quality of your education and experiences rather than the name of your school. Your GRE scores, along with your research and leadership experiences, will also play a significant role in your application and can help compensate for any potential weaknesses in your undergraduate institution's reputation.

Overall, I believe you have a strong chance of being accepted into graduate programs in Robotics and Automation with your background and experiences. Keep up your hard work and continue to showcase your passion for the field in your application materials. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is the difference between Engineering Physics and Robotics/Electrical Engineering?

Engineering Physics is a branch of physics that applies principles of physics to design, analyze, and develop new technologies. It is a broad field that covers various areas such as materials science, optics, and mechanics. Robotics/Electrical Engineering, on the other hand, focuses specifically on the design and development of electrical and electronic systems, with a particular emphasis on robotics and automation. While both fields utilize principles of physics, the main difference lies in their specific areas of focus.

2. Can someone with a background in Engineering Physics pursue a career in Robotics/Electrical Engineering?

Yes, individuals with a background in Engineering Physics can pursue a career in Robotics/Electrical Engineering. The knowledge and skills gained in Engineering Physics, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical modeling, are highly applicable to the field of Robotics/Electrical Engineering. Additionally, many universities offer specialized programs that combine Engineering Physics and Robotics/Electrical Engineering, making it easier for individuals to transition between the two fields.

3. What are some applications of Engineering Physics to Robotics/Electrical Engineering?

There are numerous applications of Engineering Physics to Robotics/Electrical Engineering, such as developing new materials for electronic devices, designing sensors and actuators, and creating algorithms for controlling robotic systems. Engineering Physics also plays a crucial role in the development of renewable energy technologies, such as solar panels and wind turbines, which are essential in the field of Robotics/Electrical Engineering.

4. What are the key skills required to excel in the field of Robotics/Electrical Engineering?

Some key skills required to excel in the field of Robotics/Electrical Engineering include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, problem-solving abilities, programming skills, and the ability to work with others in a team. Additionally, having a curious and innovative mindset, as well as the ability to adapt to new technologies and techniques, are also essential for success in this field.

5. How is the future job market for professionals in Engineering Physics to Robotics/Electrical Engineering?

The future job market for professionals in Engineering Physics to Robotics/Electrical Engineering is promising. As technology continues to advance, the demand for skilled individuals who can design and develop new technologies will only increase. In particular, the field of Robotics/Electrical Engineering is expected to see significant growth in the coming years, with a high demand for professionals with a strong background in Engineering Physics. This makes it an excellent field for individuals to pursue a career in.