1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Physics Undergrad to Physics Grad

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    I think that I saw a thread with a similar question not too long ago, but I couldn't find it, so sorry if this is too much of a repeat thread.

Anyways, I'm trying to weigh out all of my options for getting an education. One such possible idea I may have uncovered is doing Engineering Physics as an Undergrad, but then going on to just Physics in Graduate School. I eventually want a PhD and a job doing experimental High-Energy Physics.

So, bottom line: will doing Engineering Physics as an Undergrad prepare me for doing High-Energy Physics in Grad School?

As always, thanks PF.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2

esuna

Gold Member

Depends on the curriculum. As long as it's got the standard two semesters in electricity & magnetism, two semesters in quantum mechanics, a semester of stat mech, an advanced lab class, etc. then you should be fine. You may end up with a little more breadth than most pure physics undergrads. The only downside is that you may not be able to take as many physics electives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook