Engineering physics: Which specialization? Bio-phys vs applied-phys

In summary: The field of biomedical physics is definitely good for employment. There are many opportunities, and you do not have to have a graduate degree to get a job.
Nikitin
Hi! The time has come to choose the specialization of my EP degree, and for this occasion I hope it's OK to make a very self-centred thread :p. Here's what I study: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/mtfyma. The 3 choices are: math, applied physics and biophysics.

I don't think I want to specialize in mathematics (even though I find it much easier than physics), but rather some form of phyiscs. So I guess it's between biology or more technical stuff.

Under both biophysics and applied physics I can choose pretty much any concentration I want, but my problem is that I have very little knowledge of upper-level physics or what it's like. I am frankly overwhelmed by the options and unable to make a decision. So could you guys help me choose what I should specialize in?

Stuff I enjoy/am interested in:

* Technology. I have always been fascinated by the technological progress of humanity, and so this is definitely something I want to be a part of.

* Space exploration. A very interesting field - very adventurous and fascinating. I enjoy the novelty of exploration.

* How the brain works. I've always wanted to know more about it, and would be interested to see if it's possible to amplify its workings.

* Evolution. I've always found it very interesting and fundamental, and think it's cool how it can be used to optimize processes in computer science.

* Cutting-edge technology. I like ambitious goals and unexplored territory.

* Working internationally. Anywhere else than Norway.

My school is (probably) comparable to caltech or similarly strict US engineering schools when it comes to difficulty and workload, and I aim at a decent GPA (at least 3.5) when I graduate.

1) Does this mean I can get onto a graduate program in the USA in one of the fields above?
2) Is a graduate program important or more trouble than its worth if I want to develop technology?
3) How about employment? Is biophysics risky in this regard?
4) What other relevant cutting edge fields are there than the ones I listed?

Thanks for any reply :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you are certain about biophysics, I would choose applied physics because it is less restrictive. It will allow you more freedom to explore your options.

How is it restricted? And what would my options be with biophysics?

How is the employment situation? The last thing I would want is end up as a hospital engineer or something..

It looks like that is a master's program, correct? With a master's in Bio-physics, usually the purpose is to begin a 2-3 year residency at a hospital in order to be qualified to work in the oncology department of a hospital. At least, that is mostly what I have seen when I have researched biomedical physics. It doesn't seem like a bad way to go, if you would like that.

Does anybody know about nanotechnology?

Is the field good for employment and are there many opportunities? Is it hard to get in?

Last edited:

What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of physics that combines principles and techniques from both engineering and physics to solve complex problems in various fields such as electronics, optics, materials science, and more.

What are the specializations within engineering physics?

The two main specializations within engineering physics are bio-physics and applied physics. Bio-physics focuses on the application of physics in biological systems, while applied physics involves using physics principles to develop practical solutions in various industries.

What is the difference between bio-physics and applied physics?

The main difference between bio-physics and applied physics is the focus of their applications. Bio-physics deals with the study of biological systems, while applied physics deals with the practical application of physics principles in various industries such as aerospace, energy, and materials science.

Which specialization should I choose?

The choice of specialization depends on your interests and career goals. If you are interested in the application of physics in biological systems, then bio-physics would be a suitable choice. On the other hand, if you are more interested in using physics principles to develop practical solutions in industries, then applied physics would be a better fit.

Can I switch between specializations?

Yes, it is possible to switch between specializations within engineering physics. However, it may require additional coursework and may prolong your graduation timeline. It is important to carefully consider your interests and goals before choosing a specialization to avoid switching later on.