Design and Simulation of a four stroke Otto engine

In summary: Once I have the drawing, I can then analyze it using various simulation programs.I want to design an engine from scratch, using CAD. Afterwards, I would like to analyze the engine using FEA and CFD simulations.There is a tutorial on this whole process.It sounds like a large project. I can't offer much in the way of software design, but it may be worthwhile looking at existing engine design simulators to get an idea about what is out there before you try and develop one yourself. Some of these have a cost, but have a free demo to look at, or have a lower functioning free version. There are a lot of areas in an engine where complicated things occur, and you may find that FEA
SeeSharp
Hello,

I am looking for resources that show you how to design an simulate and engine from scratch.

I want to design a complete engine using CAD. Afterwards I would like to analyze the engine using FEA and CFD (Heat transfer, fluid flow etc.) simulations.
This is all for learning purposes. I will be using NX12 and probably ANSYS for CFD, although the package shouldn't matter to much.
Is there basically a tutorial on this whole process?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a large project. I can't offer much in the way of software design, but it may be worthwhile looking at existing engine design simulators to get an idea about what is out there before you try and develop one yourself. Some of these have a cost, but have a free demo to look at, or have a lower functioning free version. There are a lot of areas in an engine where complicated things occur, and you may find that FEA/CFD is more helpful in certain areas. Combustion chamber/piston design, valve/ignition timing events, valvetrain harmonics, intake plenum effects, etc., have levels of complexity that can be studied for years, depending on how detailed your analysis gets.

http://www.performancetrends.com/Engine-Simulation.htm
http://www.quarterjr.com/
http://www.motionsoftware.com/
http://www.enginebuilderprofessional.com/

Are you actually going to build this thing, or is it just an academic exercise? If you are actually going to build it, the safety considerations are enormous and daunting. Please don't consider building it yourself without on site expertise to hold your hand at every juncture.

I think we need to clarify what you want to achieve and what is feasible.

Do you want to design an engine, or do you want to draw a picture of one?
3D CAD is essentially an elaborate drawing.

I want to "3D CAD" an engine, firstly.

1. What is the purpose of designing and simulating a four stroke Otto engine?

The purpose of designing and simulating a four stroke Otto engine is to understand and analyze the performance of the engine before it is physically built. This allows for modifications and improvements to be made in the design stage, resulting in a more efficient and optimized engine.

2. What factors are taken into consideration during the design and simulation process?

During the design and simulation process of a four stroke Otto engine, factors such as combustion efficiency, fuel consumption, power output, and emissions are taken into consideration. Other factors include the engine's size, weight, and cost.

3. What are the main components of a four stroke Otto engine?

The main components of a four stroke Otto engine include the piston, cylinder, crankshaft, connecting rod, valves, spark plug, and fuel injection system. These components work together to convert fuel into mechanical energy.

4. How does the simulation of a four stroke Otto engine work?

The simulation of a four stroke Otto engine involves using computer software to model the engine's components and their interactions. The software takes into account various parameters such as fuel type, air-fuel ratio, valve timing, and ignition timing to predict the engine's performance.

5. What are the benefits of designing and simulating a four stroke Otto engine?

Designing and simulating a four stroke Otto engine offers several benefits, including cost savings, time efficiency, and improved performance. It also allows for the testing of different design variations and optimization of the engine's performance before it is physically built. This can result in a more reliable and efficient engine in the long run.