Entropy and the second law of thermodynamics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
denniszhao
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
A Stirling engine operates between a hot reservoir at temperature TH=400K and a cold reservoir at temperature TC=300K. The working substance is n=0.15mol of ideal gas with gamma factor γ=1.4. Assume all heat going into the engine comes from the hot reservoir and all heat dissipated by the engine goes to the cold reservoir and compute the change of entropy for the universe each cycle.
I wanna first figure out the heat but I don't know their volume at that moment and how is gamma factor used in this problem.
Relevant Equations
Change of entropy for the universe=change of entropy for cold reservoir+that for hot reservoir=-QH/TH+QC/TC
07CEBD4C-6590-4843-ADC0-66987248547A.jpg

7FCDC583-ADF8-4F8B-8046-ED81C0C2A7D2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rude man said:
What does "isochoric" mean? Where do you see such a process?
the stirling cycle contains two isothermal processes (constant temperature) and two isochoric processes (constant volume). you can check out the diagram attached above.
 
Let the smaller volume be V1 and the larger volume be V2. In terms of V1 and V2, what are QH and QC? What are ##\Delta S_H## and ##\Delta S_C##?
 
Here's a hint: The net change in entropy of the system plus surroundings is zero for the two isothermal steps.

Also, pay particular attention to this: "Assume all heat going into the engine comes from the hot reservoir and all heat dissipated by the engine goes to the cold reservoir"
 
Last edited:
I wonder if this is doable.
I mean, the ratio of Vb/Va could be any number without changing the text of the problem, yet the change in entropy per cyccle is a function of this ratio.
denniszhao said:
the stirling cycle contains two isothermal processes (constant temperature) and two isochoric processes (constant volume). you can check out the diagram attached above.
I thought I deleted this post almost immediately I posted it; sorry, didn't look at the diagream carfully.
 
rude man said:
I wonder if this is doable.
I mean, the ratio of Vb/Va could be any number without changing the text of the problem, yet the change in entropy per cyccle is a function of this ratio.

I thought I deleted this post almost immediately I posted it; sorry, didn't look at the diagream carfully.
Here is my final hint: The initial and final volumes are irrelevant.
 
Chestermiller said:
Here is my final hint: The initial and final volumes are irrelevant.
That's because ln(VH/VL) - ln(VL/VH) = 0 right?
 
Chestermiller said:
Here is my final hint: The initial and final volumes are irrelevant.
but i can't cancel that part tho
 
Attachments
  • 962992E75974EC422FAFC24288CDB7DD.jpg
    962992E75974EC422FAFC24288CDB7DD.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 311
@denniszhao,
EDIT: sorry, got my signs wrong. Here is correct:

## \Delta Q_C## > 0. The cold reservoir gains entropy.
## \Delta Q_H ## < 0. The hot reservoir loses entropy.
 
Last edited: