1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy-any direction would be appreciated

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    A cup made of 100g of aluminum holds 200g of water at 50deg C, a 10g piece of ice is placed in the cup of water, what is the final temperature?

2. Relevant equations
    Q=L(f)m
    S=cm lnTf/Ti
    specific heat of aluminum 0.90 J/gC

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the first step is to determine S(ice)
    Q=Lm=79.5 cal/g * 10g=795cal
    S(ice)=Q/T=795/273K=2.91
    S(water)=Q/T=-795/323K=-2.46
    2.91-2.46=.45cal/K

then as 0deg C water goes to 50deg C?
    I believe I should be using an integral as the ice will be changing the temp of the water?
    S(ice)=cmln(Tf/Ti)
    1cal/gC * 10g ln(795/323)=9

S(water)=cmln(Tf/Ti)
    1cal/gC*200 ln(795/323)=180

So now I'm confused-because I believe I would need to know the final temp of the water before calculating S with the Steel??
    I also do not understand how to convert J/gC to cal
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This does not involve an entropy calculation. This is simply a heat flow calculation. You have to know the specific heat of Al, Water and Ice as well as the heat of fusion of water/ice. Then you have to set up equations for the change in temperature in terms of the heat flow from the water/cup to the ice and the final temp. Then solve the equations.

You can't convert Joules/g C to Calories. You can convert Joules/g C to Calories/g C by dividing by 4.187 Joules (= 1 Cal.)

AM

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?