Entropy change when melting ice then refreezing the water

In summary, In this conversation, you have found that there is a gain in entropy due to the melting and refreezing of an infinitesimal mass of ice.
yamata1
Homework Statement
A bloc of ice at temperature 273 K and height h has a plate of surface S with symetrically distributed weights of mass M hanging on both sides, so constant pressure is applied to the bloc and begins melting,the water rises from under the plate and refreezes above the plate.
What is the entropy change ##dS_1## of a mass dm of ice melting?
What is the entropy change ##dS_2## of a mass dm of water refreezing?
In using the fact that ##|\Delta T |<< T_0##, deduce therefrom the rate of change of total entropy; what is its sign (comment)?
Show that the total variation of entropy during the complete process where the plate has passed through the ice is independent of ##L_f## and is worth ##∆S=\frac{2Mgh(v_l-v_s)}{V_g T_0}##
Let ##P1 = P_0 + ∆P## and ##T_1 = T_0 + ∆T## be the equilibrium pressure and temperature of the ice under the plate. We denote by ##L_f## the specific latent heat of fusion of the ice, ##v_l## and ##v_s ## the volumes mass of liquid water and ice, g acceleration of gravity. We will assume that variations in temperature and equilibrium pressure on either side of the plate are weak enough that ##L_f##,##v_l## and ##v_s## can be considered constant, their values being those of the state (##T_0, P_0##).
Relevant Equations
##L_f=\frac{Q}{m} \; \; ##,##∆T=\frac{T(v_l-v_s)∆P}
{L}## I dont know how to express the total entropy change.

Thank you for help
##dmL_f= Q \; \; ##,##∆T=\frac{T(v_l-v_s)∆P}{L} \; \;##,##\frac{dmL_f}{T_0}= dS_2 \; \;##,##\frac{dmL_f}{T_1}= dS_1 ##

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please provide a diagram.

Chestermiller said:
I agree. A diagram would help.

Also, @yamata1, could you explain what [itex] V_g [/itex] is? It's one of the variables in your change of entropy equation, but I don't see a definition for it. Is it the absolute volume of the block of ice (when there's no water)?

[Edit: Or maybe [itex] V_g [/itex] is the absolute volume of the path that the plate eventually moves through, if the plate has a smaller area than the block's area. That's just a guess. Can you confirm? (In other words, is [itex] V_g = hS [/itex], where [itex] S [/itex] here is the surface area of the plate, not entropy?)]

Last edited:
Screenshot_2020-01-07-12-35-54-609_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg
Chestermiller said:

collinsmark said:
I agree. A diagram would help.

Also, @yamata1, could you explain what [itex] V_g [/itex] is? It's one of the variables in your change of entropy equation, but I don't see a definition for it. Is it the absolute volume of the block of ice (when there's no water)?

[Edit: Or maybe [itex] V_g [/itex] is the absolute volume of the path that the plate eventually moves through, if the plate has a smaller area than the block's area. That's just a guess. Can you confirm? (In other words, is [itex] V_g = hS [/itex], where [itex] S [/itex] here is the surface area of the plate, not entropy?)]
It's a mistake, it's supposed to be ##v_s##, the ##L##'s are ##L_f##'s also.

Last edited:
yamata1 said:
Homework Equations:: ##L_f=\frac{Q}{m} \; \; ##,##∆T=\frac{T(v_l-v_s)∆P}
{L}## I don't know how to express the total entropy change.

Thank you for help

##dmL_f= Q \; \; ##,##∆T=\frac{T(v_l-v_s)∆P}{L} \; \;##,##\frac{dmL_f}{T_0}= dS_2 \; \;##,##\frac{dmL_f}{T_1}= dS_1 ##
Looks like you have all the reltionships that you need. You say that you don't know how to express the total entropy change. Doesn't ##dS_{\rm tot} = dS_1 + dS_2##? Think about the signs of ##dS_1## and ##dS_2##. Which one of these is a negative quantity? You will need to make an approximation for ##dS_1## based on the fact that ##|\Delta T| \ll T_0##.

Last edited:
Likes yamata1
TSny said:
Looks like you have all the reltionships that you need. You say that you don't know how to express the total entropy change. Doesn't ##dS_{\rm tot} = dS_1 + dS_2##? Think about the signs of ##dS_1## and ##dS_2##. Which one of these is a negative quantity? You will need to make an approximation for ##dS_1## based on the fact that ##\Delta T \ll T_0##.
##dS_2+dS_1=-\frac{dmL_f} {T_0}+\frac{dmL_f} {T_0+∆T}=-\frac{dmL_f} {T_0}+\frac{dmL_f} {T_0}(1-\frac{∆T} {T_0})=
-dmL_f\frac{∆T}{{T_0}^2}=-\frac{dm(v_l-v_s)∆P} {T_0}=\frac{dm(v_s-v_l)2Mg} {ST_0}=\frac{(v_s-v_l)2Mgh} {v_s T_0} =∆S\; \; \;## since ##v_s=\frac{Sh}{dm}## I made another mistake while typing ##∆S## in my first post, it was supposed to be ##∆S=\frac{(v_s-v_l)2Mgh} {v_s T_0}##

yamata1 said:
##dS_2+dS_1=-\frac{dmL_f} {T_0}+\frac{dmL_f} {T_0+∆T}=-\frac{dmL_f} {T_0}+\frac{dmL_f} {T_0}(1-\frac{∆T} {T_0})=
-dmL_f\frac{∆T}{{T_0}^2}=-\frac{dm(v_l-v_s)∆P} {T_0}=\frac{dm(v_s-v_l)2Mg} {ST_0}=\frac{(v_s-v_l)2Mgh} {v_s T_0} =∆S\; \; \;## since ##v_s=\frac{Sh}{dm}## I made another mistake while typing ##∆S## in my first post, it was supposed to be ##∆S=\frac{(v_s-v_l)2Mgh} {v_s T_0}##
I think that looks pretty good. I interpreted ##dS_1## and ##dS_2## to be infinitesimal entropy changes due to the melting and refreezing of an infinitesimal mass ##dm##. Then, you have shown that

##dS_{\rm tot} = dS_2+dS_1=\frac{dm(v_s-v_l)2Mg} {ST_0}##

To get the finite change ##\Delta S_{\rm tot}## for the entire process, you can integrate: ##\Delta S_{\rm tot} = \int dS_{\rm tot}##

This will yield the same result that you got if you use ##v_s=\frac{Sh}{m_{\rm ice}}##, where ##m_{\rm ice}## is the mass of the total amount of ice that melted and refroze during the process.

TSny said:
I think that looks pretty good. I interpreted ##dS_1## and ##dS_2## to be infinitesimal entropy changes due to the melting and refreezing of an infinitesimal mass ##dm##. Then, you have shown that

##dS_{\rm tot} = dS_2+dS_1=\frac{dm(v_s-v_l)2Mg} {ST_0}##

To get the finite change ##\Delta S_{\rm tot}## for the entire process, you can integrate: ##\Delta S_{\rm tot} = \int dS_{\rm tot}##

This will yield the same result that you got if you use ##v_s=\frac{Sh}{m_{\rm ice}}##, where ##m_{\rm ice}## is the mass of the total amount of ice that melted and refroze during the process.
Yes, so we do have a gain in entropy.Thanks again.

1. What is entropy change when melting ice then refreezing the water?

The entropy change when melting ice then refreezing the water is a measure of the disorder or randomness of the molecules in the system. It is a thermodynamic concept that describes the amount of energy that is unavailable for work during a physical or chemical process.

2. How does entropy change during the melting of ice?

During the melting of ice, the entropy increases as the solid ice molecules gain more freedom to move and become more disordered as they transition into liquid water molecules.

3. What happens to entropy when water is refrozen?

When water is refrozen, the entropy decreases as the liquid water molecules lose their freedom to move and become more ordered as they transition back into solid ice molecules.

4. Is there a change in entropy when ice is melted and then refrozen?

Yes, there is a change in entropy when ice is melted and then refrozen. The total change in entropy is zero since the entropy increase during melting is cancelled out by the entropy decrease during refreezing.

5. How does entropy change during the process of melting and refreezing affect the overall system?

The entropy change during the process of melting and refreezing does not affect the overall system significantly. This is because the total change in entropy is zero, meaning the system is in a state of equilibrium and there is no net change in disorder or randomness.