Finding equilibrium temperature when there are phase changes

In summary, the equilibrium temperature of the system is dependent on whether there are phase changes occurring. If there are no phase changes, the temperature equilibrium is calculated using the formula ##T_e=\frac{m_{ice}c_{ice}T_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}T_{w}}{m_{ice}c_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}}##. However, if there are phase changes, the formula becomes ##T_e=\frac{m_{ice}c_{ice}T_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}T_{w}-\delta m_w L_c}{m_{ice}c_{ice}+m_{w}c_{
lorenz0
Homework Statement
In a box containing ##m_{ice}=0.42kg## of ice at a temperature ##T_{ice}=-15°C##, ##m_{w}=0.16kg## of water at a temperature ##T_w=12°C## are added.
Ignore all dispersions of heat in the environment.
Find the equilibrium temperature and how much ice and how much water there is in the equilibrium state.
Relevant Equations
##\sum \Delta Q=0##
If there weren't phase changes occurring I know that the temperature equilibrium would be ##T_e=\frac{m_{ice}c_{ice}T_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}T_{w}}{m_{ice}c_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}}##.
Now, by repeating the reasoning to get the above formula (##\sum \Delta Q=0##) and adding the phase changes of the water freezing I get ##T_e=\frac{ m_{ice}c_{ice}T_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}T_{w}-\delta m_w L_c }{m_{ice}c_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}}##, where ##L_c## is the latent heat of fusion and condensation, respectively, but how do I find how much (##\delta m_w##) of the water freezes?

And, is my reasoning correct in general? I would like to understand this process in general. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lorenz0 said:
Homework Statement:: In a box containing ##m_{ice}=0.42kg## of ice at a temperature ##T_{ice}=-15°C##, ##m_{w}=0.16kg## of water at a temperature ##T_w=12°C## are added.
Ignore all dispersions of heat in the environment.
Find the equilibrium temperature and how much ice and how much water there is in the equilibrium state.
Relevant Equations:: ##\sum \Delta Q=0##

If there weren't phase changes occurring I know that the temperature equilibrium would be ##T_e=\frac{m_{ice}c_{ice}T_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}T_{w}}{m_{ice}c_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}}##.
Now, by repeating the reasoning to get the above formula (##\sum \Delta Q=0##) and adding the phase changes of the water freezing I get ##T_e=\frac{ m_{ice}c_{ice}T_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}T_{w}-\delta m_w L_c }{m_{ice}c_{ice}+m_{w}c_{w}}##, where ##L_c## is the latent heat of fusion and condensation, respectively, but how do I find how much (##\delta m_w##) of the water freezes?

And, is my reasoning correct in general? I would like to understand this process in general. Thanks
The second part of the question seems strange.
If Te is above 0 °C then you should have only water, below only ice.
Only if Te = 0 °C you can have a mixture.
Well, maybe that is how you have to deal with it.
Otherwise there are too many unknowns.

Likes lorenz0
Philip Koeck said:
The second part of the question seems strange.
If Te is above 0 °C then you should have only water, below only ice.
Only if Te = 0 °C you can have a mixture.
Well, maybe that is how you have to deal with it.
Otherwise there are too many unknowns.
It may be that the second part is poorly phrased because whoever wrote it does not want to prejudice the thinking of the reader. There are three possibilities for the contents:
  1. Only ice at some equilibrium temperature
  2. Only water at some equilibrium temperature
  3. A mixture of ice and water at 0 °C
In the first two cases the mass of the single phase is 0.58 kg and one has to find its temperature. In the third case the temperature of the mixture is 0 °C and one has to find how much of it is ice and how much is water.
To @lorenz0 : Remember that
  • The temperature of the ice must be raised to 0 °C before any of it starts melting and the heat for that to happen can only come from the water. Calculate how much heat.
  • The temperature of the water must be lowered to 0 °C before any of it starts freezing and the heat lost for that to happen can only go into the ice. Calculate how much heat.
Once you have the two numbers, you can figure out which of the three possibilities is the case here and proceed from there.

Likes BvU, Philip Koeck and lorenz0

1. What is equilibrium temperature?

Equilibrium temperature is the temperature at which the rate of energy transfer into a system is equal to the rate of energy transfer out of the system. In other words, it is the temperature at which there is no net change in the energy of the system.

2. How do phase changes affect equilibrium temperature?

Phase changes, such as melting or boiling, require energy to be added or removed from a system. This energy is known as latent heat and can cause a change in the equilibrium temperature of the system.

3. Can equilibrium temperature be calculated when there are phase changes?

Yes, equilibrium temperature can be calculated when there are phase changes. This can be done by considering the energy required for the phase change and using the appropriate equations to determine the equilibrium temperature.

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium temperature when there are phase changes?

The factors that can affect the equilibrium temperature when there are phase changes include the amount of energy added or removed, the specific heat capacity of the substance, and the latent heat of the phase change.

5. How can finding equilibrium temperature when there are phase changes be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of finding equilibrium temperature when there are phase changes is important in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It can be applied in processes such as distillation, refrigeration, and phase change materials used in thermal energy storage.