1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy: gas heated by resistor

1. Sep 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A current ## I=0.2 A ## flows in a resistor ##R = 50 Ω## immersed in a rigid adiabatic vessel that contains ##n=3## moles of Helium. The initial temperature of the system is ##T_0 = 27 °C##. The resistor has a mass ## m = 10 g## and specific heat ## c = 0.2 (cal/K)/g ## and runs for ##t= 10 min##. Find:
    1. the internal energy change of He.
    2. the entropy change of He and the entropy change of the Universe.

2. Relevant equations
    ##P = i^2R##
    ##dS = \left( \frac {\delta Q} T \right)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I solved the problem, but I'm not completely sure of my reasoning, especially on the last question. Could you tell me what you think?

1) Helium is a noble gas, so I assumed it's an ideal gas. Therefore ## U = U(T) ##.
    Since the volume is kept constant: ## ΔU = n c_V ΔT = n \frac 3 2 RΔT##. (Helium is monoatomic)
    I calculated the temperature at equilibrium (##T_{eq}##) by knowing that the electrical energy is converted into heat that heats up both the resistor and the gas:
    $$E_{in} = (mc + n c_v) (T_{eq} - T_0) $$
    $$ I^2 R t + T_0 (mc + n c_v) = T_{eq} (mc + n c_v)$$
    and hoping I converted all units accordingly:
    $$T_{eq} = \frac {I^2 R t + T_0 (mc + n c_v)} {(mc + n c_v)} ≈ 431 K $$
    Therefore: $$ΔU = n \frac 3 2 RΔT ≈ 4.89 kJ$$

2) Helium absorbs heat at constant volume, so ##TdS =\delta Q = nc_v dT##
    So: $$ ΔS_{He} = \int_{T_0}^{T_{eq}} \frac {nc_v} T \, dT = n c_v \ln{\frac {T_{eq}} {T_0}} ≈13.5 J/K $$
    As for the entropy change of the universe, I calculated the entropy change due to the heating of the resistor and added it to that of the gas:
    $$ ΔS_R = \int_{T_0}^{T_{eq}} \frac {mc} T \, dT = mc \ln{\frac {T_{eq}} {T_0}} ≈3.02 J/K $$
    $$ ΔS_{univ} = ΔS_{He} + ΔS_R ≈ 16.52 J/K$$

Since the energy flowing into the system comes only through electrical work, and the vessel is adiabatic, there are no other heat exchanges that could cause a change in entropy of the universe, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello and welcome to PF!

Your method and resoning look very good to me. However, I'm getting different numbers.

For example, you have
    The formula looks correct, but I don't get 431 K. Can you tell us what numerical values you have for ##mc## for the resistor and ##nc_v## for the He?

4. Sep 3, 2016 #3
    Sure. I might have been a bit sloppy with numbers. So using the given data:
    ##mc = 10 g ~ 0.2~ \frac {cal} {K~g} = 2~ \frac {cal} K ##
    ##nc_v = 3~ mol~ \frac {3}{2}~ R = 3~mol~ \frac {3}{2}~ 1.987~ \frac {cal}{K ~mol} ≈ 8.94 \frac {cal} K##
    Therefore, since ## 1 ~cal = 4.18 ~J##:
    $$T_{eq} = \frac {6000 ~J + 300.15~ K (2+8.94)~ 4.18 \frac J K} {(2+8.94)~ 4.18 \frac J K} ≈ \frac {6000 ~J + 13727.5 ~J } {45.74 \frac J K} ≈ 431.3 K$$

5. Sep 3, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. The problem appears to be with your calculation of ##I^2Rt##. Did you square the current?

6. Sep 4, 2016 #5
    Ahaha. Yes, you're right. Apparently I didn't. So ##I^2Rt = 1200 ~J## and therefore:
    ##T_{eq} ≈ 326.4~ K##
    ##ΔU ≈ 982.1 ~J##
    ##ΔS_{He} ≈ 3.14 ~J/K##
    ##ΔS_R ≈ 0.7 ~J/K##

7. Sep 4, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. I get about 987 J for ΔUHe, but that's close to what you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted