Equality involving matrix exponentials / Lie group representations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lie Group representations, specifically how A and B belong to different representations of the same Lie Group with the same dimension. The elements X and Y are part of the respective Lie algebra representations. The main question is whether it is sufficient to show -YM + MY = XM to prove B^{-1} M B = AM for all t. This method is commonly used in physics derivations, but its sufficiency is not clear. The conversation also mentions the possibility of proving B^{-1} M B = AM directly.
MisterX
We have that A and B belong to different representations of the same Lie Group. The representations have the same dimension. X and Y are elements of the respective Lie algebra representations.
[itex]A = e^{tX}[/itex]
[itex]B = e^{tY}[/itex]

We want to show, for a specific matrix M

[itex]B^{-1} M B = AM[/itex]

Does it suffice to show this to first order?

[itex]\left(1 -tY + \dots \right)M \left(1 + tY + \dots \right) = \left(1 + tX + \dots \right)M[/itex]

In other words is

[itex]-YM + MY = XM[/itex]

sufficient to show

for all t?

I have seen this used in physics derivations, but it's not clear to me if and why this is sufficient.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, this came as a result of misreading something.

I've been wondering the same thing, so I wouldn't mind following some discussion.

According to my experience with theoretical physics, usually in particular situations it is quite easy to prove

MisterX said:

directly, and therefore the "Lie algebra way" isn't critical. Of course it would still be interesting to know some theory about the topic.

actually the expression I am trying to prove is

[tex]B^{-1} M^{(\mu)} B = \sum_{\nu} A^\mu{}_\nu M^{(\nu)} [/tex]
That is, [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are from four dimensional representations, and there are four different 4x4 matrices [itex]M^\mu[/itex], which form a space closed under conjugation by [itex]B[/itex]. The matrix [itex]A[/itex] is the corresponding element of a different representation, but marvelously [itex]A[/itex] gives the components of [itex]B^{-1} M^{(\mu)} B [/itex] within that subspace spanned by the [itex]M^\mu[/itex]. I think this is not a general problem, we have to get into the specifics. I may follow up in the quantum mechanics forum, in case you are interested.

Yes, it suffices to show this to first order. This is because the matrix exponentials A and B are defined as the solutions to the differential equations dA/dt = XA and dB/dt = YB, respectively. Therefore, to first order, we can approximate A and B as A = I + tX and B = I + tY, where I is the identity matrix. Substituting this into the equation B^{-1}MB = AM, we get:

(I - tY)M(I + tY) = (I + tX)M

Expanding this out and keeping only terms up to first order, we get:

M - tYM + tMY = M + tXM

Simplifying and canceling out the M terms, we get:

-YM + MY = XM

which is the equation we wanted to show. Therefore, we can conclude that B^{-1}MB = AM holds to first order and, by extension, for all values of t. This is because the Lie group representations A and B are defined as the solutions to the same differential equation, and thus their first-order approximations will always be equal.

1. What is the significance of matrix exponentials in relation to equality and Lie group representations?

Matrix exponentials play a crucial role in understanding the concept of equality involving Lie group representations. They are used to represent infinitesimal transformations within a Lie group, which in turn help to understand the relationship between different Lie groups and their representations.

2. How are matrix exponentials used to demonstrate equality between Lie group representations?

Matrix exponentials are used to construct a flow of transformations within a Lie group, which can then be compared to the flow of transformations in another Lie group to determine their equality. This is achieved by comparing the coefficients of the exponential series, which represent the infinitesimal transformations.

3. Can matrix exponentials be used to prove the equality of non-compact Lie group representations?

Yes, matrix exponentials can be used to prove the equality of non-compact Lie group representations. However, the process is more complex and involves the use of analytic continuation techniques.

4. What are some applications of equality involving matrix exponentials / Lie group representations in science and engineering?

The concept of equality involving matrix exponentials and Lie group representations has numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include robotics, control theory, quantum mechanics, and computer graphics.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using matrix exponentials to demonstrate equality between Lie group representations?

One limitation is that the equality of Lie group representations can only be determined up to a certain precision due to the use of numerical methods. Additionally, the complexity of the calculations involved can make it challenging to prove equality in some cases.