1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equalizing pressure between two vessels

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two insulated air containers, first with a volume V1 and second with V2. In the first there is a pressure p1 and in the second p2. The temperatures are the same in both, thus T. Then both containers are connected with a hose so that pressure equalizes, but no heat is transferred between them.
    What are the final temperatures and final pressure?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If there was heat transfer between containers, the final temperature would be the same in both and even the same as the temperature T in the beginning and because of that I could calculate the final pressure using pV = mRT (R = gas constant for air), where I'd get mass for one container from specific volumes.

But this case with no heat transfer is a bit confusing. I can't get final pressure with the equation used above because I don't know the final temperatures. The book says the final pressure is the same as above, but I don't know why is it so.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2
    My results regarding the case where heat transfer occurs are that entropy actually decreases - using this formula:

s = Cvln(pend/p1) + Cpln(vend/v1) +
    + Cvln(pend/p2) + Cpln(vend/v2),

where v1 and v2 are specific volumes before mixing and vend is the final specific volume (the same for pressures).

The actual numbers are:
    T = 293 K
    p1 = 1 bar
    p2 = 20 bar
    V1 = 5m3
    V2 = 2m3

From that I got
    v1 = 0.8403 m3/kg)
    v2 = 0.0420 m3/kg)
    pend = 6.43 bar
    vend = 0.1308 m3/kg

s = -206 J/kgK

I know entropy cannot be decreased with mixing, so what's wrong here?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook