1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equating two integrals with a constant involved

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##\int_{-1}^{3} f(x) dx = -4 = \int_{-1}^{3} 2g(x)dx##

Now find a value(constant a) that makes the following true:

##\int_{-1}^{3} [3f(x) - ag(x) +a] dx = \int_{-1}^{3}(1-ax)dx##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm unsure if my approach here is correct but I think that I need to utilize the fact that ##\int_{-1}^{3} f(x) dx## = -4 and substitute this in to the left side of equation? So I would get something like this after evaluating:

##\int_{-1}^{3} [-12+2a+a] dx## and then once i've done this, i can solve the integral. I'll have to solve the integral on the right side as well and once i've finished that, I find a value for a? I got 52/16 but I dont have an answer to check to.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can also use the fact that ##\int_{-1}^{3} 2g(x)dx = -4## to get an expression for ##\int_{-1}^{3} g(x)dx##.
    The two properties of definite integrals that come into play here are:
    ##\int_a^b k \cdot f(x) dx = k\int_a^b f(x) dx## (k a constant)
    and ##\int_a^b f(x) + g(x) dx = \int_a^b f(x) dx + \int_a^b g(x) dx##

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3
    using these properties would I get something like this?(after splitting the left side):
    ##3\int_{-1}^{3} f(x)dx - a\int_{-1}^{3} g(x)dx + \int_{-1}^{3} adx## ?

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, and you should be able to evaluate all three of these integrals, based on the given information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted