Equation for the Diameter of a Dryer

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for finding the diameter of a dryer, which the speaker came across in a research paper. They ask for clarification on the derivation of the equation and mention that it seems to be a simplified version of the volume of a cylinder. Another participant notes that the equation is dimensionally incorrect, to which the speaker suggests it may be a "rule of thumb" type of equation.
Will26040
TL;DR Summary
I have come across this equation on a research paper to get the diameter of a dryer using its volume and Length/diameter ratio. I was wondering if anyone had seen it before/ knows how it is derived as I have not seen it in any books. Thanks
IMG_3585.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will26040 said:
Summary:: I have come across this equation on a research paper to get the diameter of a dryer using its volume and Length/diameter ratio. I was wondering if anyone had seen it before/ knows how it is derived as I have not seen it in any books. Thanks

View attachment 273200
Can you provide a link to the paper? What kind of dryer?

Looks like it is just the volume of a cylinder, re-arranged, and maybe scaled so it isn't full.

The equation is dimensionally incorrect and makes no sense to me.

hutchphd said:
The equation is dimensionally incorrect...
That's common in "rule of thumb" or "rolled up constants" equations.

1. What is the equation for the diameter of a dryer?

The equation for the diameter of a dryer is D = 2 * (V / (pi * L)), where D is the diameter, V is the volume, and L is the length of the dryer.

2. How is the diameter of a dryer calculated?

The diameter of a dryer is calculated by dividing the volume of the dryer by the product of pi and the length of the dryer, and then multiplying by 2.

3. What units should be used for the volume and length in the equation?

The volume and length should be in the same units, such as inches or centimeters, in order for the equation to work correctly.

4. Can this equation be used for all types of dryers?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of dryer as long as the volume and length are accurately measured.

5. How accurate is this equation for determining the diameter of a dryer?

This equation is fairly accurate, but it is important to note that there may be slight variations due to factors such as the shape and design of the dryer. It is always best to double check the measurements and calculations to ensure accuracy.