How to increase a hole/thread diameter in gold

In summary: Please, see:https://www.productionmachining.com/articles/making-micro-threadsTest the thread pitch by borrowing a similar screw from another location. Notice the thread angle may not be the 60° as expected with UN or ISO thread standards.You might measure the thread pitch by screwing a soft material into the hole to get a print of the thread. I use a tapered splinter of a match stick, with modelling clay on bigger threads.The chances of destroying the watch are pretty high. Watches are made to a level of precision rarely ever found in other industries. Many years ago, I worked for Hamilton Watch Co., and old-line American watch company
docnet
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
What's the best way to increase the diameter of a threaded hole in 18k gold?
Hello,

I am trying to change a 0.9mm screw with a 1.0mm screw. The material is 18k gold, and so the hole is to be threaded.
Is it ill advised to force the larger screw in without tapping the smaller hole? the difference in screw size is just .1mm, and we assume the thread pitches are identical. Gold is a soft material so should it accommodate the larger diameter screw without issues?

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 2.00.41 PM.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lnewqban said:
What has happened to the original female thread?
According to this site, the pitches differ for both diameters:

https://www.sizes.com/tools/thread_unm.htm

thank you. The original .9mm diameter screw has rattled loose and I cannot find a replacement screw anywhere. I suppose another option to replace the screw is paying $2000 to Bvlgari for a full service.

edited: typos

This is a $10-40K watch with high resale value. The resale value will be much lower if it is "repaired" by a non-expert, and will be close to zero if it does not survive the repair. I would take it to a repairman.

Likes berkeman
Lnewqban said:
Tapping for 1.0 mm with different pitch will destroy whatever is remaining of that female thread, in my humble opinion.
Somebody must have the original 0.9 UNM screw.
Some thread lock may do the trick of retaining it in place.

Please, see:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-9-90-UNM...645762?hash=item5b760de402:g:aJYAAOSwaS9fRq9J

Best luck!
Vanadium 50 said:
This is a $10-40K watch with high resale value. The resale value will be much lower if it is "repaired" by a non-expert, and will be close to zero if it does not survive the repair. I would take it to a repairman.

My apologies. I meant to say just the screw has been lost. The female thread is 100% intact as far as I can tell. I bought the watch from an online Sothebys auction in march. And no one else placed any bids it so I got a good deal, much less than $10K. I will take your advice and not alter the female thread. (the screw seems to be propriatary to the brand and I still cannot find it for sale anywhere). I will keep searching. thanks

Likes Lnewqban and berkeman
Likes docnet
Replace the screw.

Test the thread pitch by borrowing a similar screw from another location. Notice the thread angle may not be the 60° as expected with UN or ISO thread standards.

You might measure the thread pitch by screwing a soft material into the hole to get a print of the thread. I use a tapered splinter of a match stick, with modelling clay on bigger threads.

Likes Lnewqban and docnet
The chances of destroying the watch are pretty high. Watches are made to a level of precision rarely ever found in other industries. Many years ago, I worked for Hamilton Watch Co., and old-line American watch company. I was simply astounded at the precision involved in every aspect. I would never try to work on a watch if I wanted it to continue to function.

Likes jim mcnamara and docnet
Baluncore said:
Notice the thread angle may not be the 60° as expected with UN or ISO thread standards.
This would be my concern. Watch makers may use proprietary fasteners, you'd be better off finding an old-time independent watch repair service and see if they can help you. At least they would know the options.

1. How can I increase the diameter of a hole in gold without damaging the material?

One way to increase the diameter of a hole in gold is by using a drill bit specifically designed for drilling through metal. It is important to use a slow speed and lubricant to prevent damage to the gold. Another option is to use a reamer, which is a tool designed to gradually widen a hole without removing too much material at once.

2. Can I use heat to increase the diameter of a hole in gold?

Heating gold can make it more malleable, but it is not recommended for increasing hole diameter as it can also weaken the metal and potentially cause it to crack or break. It is best to use mechanical methods, such as drilling or reaming, to increase hole diameter in gold.

3. Is it possible to increase the diameter of a threaded hole in gold?

Yes, it is possible to increase the diameter of a threaded hole in gold. One method is to use a tap, which is a tool used to cut threads into a hole. Another option is to use a thread chaser, which is a tool designed to clean and reshape existing threads. It is important to use the correct size and type of tap or thread chaser for the specific thread pattern needed.

4. What are the risks of increasing the hole/thread diameter in gold?

The main risk of increasing the hole/thread diameter in gold is the potential for damage to the material. This can include cracking, breaking, or weakening of the gold. It is important to use proper tools and techniques to minimize these risks. Additionally, altering the diameter of a hole or thread can affect the functionality and strength of the object, so careful consideration should be taken before making any changes.

5. Are there any alternative methods for increasing hole/thread diameter in gold?

In addition to drilling, reaming, tapping, and using thread chasers, there are a few other methods that can be used to increase hole/thread diameter in gold. These include using a file or sandpaper to manually widen the hole, or using a laser to melt and reshape the metal. However, these methods may not be as precise or effective as the traditional mechanical methods and should be approached with caution.