Equation help with trig functions

In summary, the distributive property states that when you have multiple things combined, the total is the sum of the individual parts.
vysero
I am currently working a physics problem and I have run into some math that I don't understand.

y = 4.0m + 4.0m(sin theta) = 4.0m(1+sin(theta))

In the problem I am trying to find a specific height at a certain angle (pendulum problem). I have found some help online that walks me through each step of the problem. I am just trying to understand how the above equation works, specifically the last part how 4 + 4(sin (theta)) is somehow equivalent to 4(1+sin(theta)). Is this some application of a formula or simple algebra that I am not understanding?

Maybe if you need more info you could check out the problem if you want too. The problem is located here: http://iweb.tntech.edu/murdock/books/v1chap6.pdf (Scroll down to page 143, worked examples # 6.2)

Physics news on Phys.org
vysero said:
I am currently working a physics problem and I have run into some math that I don't understand.

y = 4.0m + 4.0m(sin theta) = 4.0m(1+sin(theta))
This is nothing more than the distributive property.

a*b + a*c = a * (b + c)

vysero said:
In the problem I am trying to find a specific height at a certain angle (pendulum problem). I have found some help online that walks me through each step of the problem. I am just trying to understand how the above equation works, specifically the last part how 4 + 4(sin (theta)) is somehow equivalent to 4(1+sin(theta)). Is this some application of a formula or simple algebra that I am not understanding?

Maybe if you need more info you could check out the problem if you want too. The problem is located here: http://iweb.tntech.edu/murdock/books/v1chap6.pdf (Scroll down to page 143, worked examples # 6.2)

Okay so that's good to know. I am still a little confused. Why does the 4.0m turn into 1? For instance if I have (4+4)(x) I get 4x + 4x which equals 8x right? So maybe this is not the distributive property but if I have (4 +4)(sin(theta)) would that not be 4sin(theta) + 4sin(theta) which = 8sin(theta).. guess I still don't understand.

Here's a cleaned up version of what you write in post #1.
vysero said:
4 + 4sin(theta) = 4(1+sin(theta))

vysero said:
Okay so that's good to know. I am still a little confused. Why does the 4.0m turn into 1?
When you're doing algebra, you should get rid of the units. They don't add anything useful, and can cause confusion.

4 + 4sin(theta) = 4*1 + 4* sin(theta) = 4 * (1 + sin(theta))

Let's make it real simple, and get rid of the trig stuff.

4 + 4x = 4*1 + 4*x = 4(1 + x)
Get it?
vysero said:
For instance if I have (4+4)(x) I get 4x + 4x which equals 8x right? So maybe this is not the distributive property but if I have (4 +4)(sin(theta)) would that not be 4sin(theta) + 4sin(theta) which = 8sin(theta).. guess I still don't understand.

Awesome, thank you that's exactly what I needed to see.

What is an equation with trig functions?

An equation with trig functions is an expression that contains one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, or their inverse functions. These equations are used to model real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects or the behavior of waves.

How do I solve an equation with trig functions?

The first step in solving an equation with trig functions is to isolate the trig function on one side of the equation. Next, use inverse operations to remove any constants or coefficients. Then, use trigonometric identities and special angles to simplify the equation. Finally, use a calculator or unit circle to find the values of the trig functions and solve for the variable.

What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities used in equations with trig functions include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations.

What are the applications of equations with trig functions?

Equations with trig functions have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry. They can be used to model and solve problems involving waves, vibrations, and circular motion, among others.

Are there any tips for solving equations with trig functions?

Some tips for solving equations with trig functions include practicing basic trigonometric identities, understanding the properties of trig functions, and using a calculator or unit circle for reference. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and label angles when solving real-world problems.