1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation help with trig functions

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    I am currently working a physics problem and I have run into some math that I don't understand.

y = 4.0m + 4.0m(sin theta) = 4.0m(1+sin(theta))

In the problem I am trying to find a specific height at a certain angle (pendulum problem). I have found some help online that walks me through each step of the problem. I am just trying to understand how the above equation works, specifically the last part how 4 + 4(sin (theta)) is somehow equivalent to 4(1+sin(theta)). Is this some application of a formula or simple algebra that I am not understanding?

Maybe if you need more info you could check out the problem if you want too. The problem is located here: http://iweb.tntech.edu/murdock/books/v1chap6.pdf (Scroll down to page 143, worked examples # 6.2)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is nothing more than the distributive property.

a*b + a*c = a * (b + c)

4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
    Okay so that's good to know. I am still a little confused. Why does the 4.0m turn into 1? For instance if I have (4+4)(x) I get 4x + 4x which equals 8x right? So maybe this is not the distributive property but if I have (4 +4)(sin(theta)) would that not be 4sin(theta) + 4sin(theta) which = 8sin(theta).. guess I still don't understand.

5. Oct 23, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here's a cleaned up version of what you write in post #1.
    When you're doing algebra, you should get rid of the units. They don't add anything useful, and can cause confusion.

4 + 4sin(theta) = 4*1 + 4* sin(theta) = 4 * (1 + sin(theta))

Let's make it real simple, and get rid of the trig stuff.

4 + 4x = 4*1 + 4*x = 4(1 + x)
    Get it?

6. Oct 23, 2012 #5
    Awesome, thank you that's exactly what I needed to see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook