1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation Needed to Figure Resulting Kinetic Energy and Velocities from Fusion

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    Equation Needed to Figure Resulting Kinetic Energy and Velocities from Fusion....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey,
    I am have the initial velocities and masses of nuclei involved in fusion, and am trying to figure out the resulting velocities and kinetic energies. Since this is an inelastic reaction, i cant use Kinetic energy, as it is not conserved. I have the conservation of momentum to use, because it is conserved, but to use it I still need to find velocity. What could i use to find this? Also, if you could clarify how to find the kinetic energies for each resulting particle, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

Deuterium+Deuterium--> Helium-3 + neutron
    each deuteron has K.E. of 69.91 KeV, and a velocity of 2.59 x 10^6 m/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already decided that the Law of Conservation of Momentum would be a good equation to use, but i still need an equation to get velocity.

Note: This is not a Homework question, per se. It was simply moved here.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Re: Equation Needed to Figure Resulting Kinetic Energy and Velocities from Fusion....

Well... the total energy [tex]E = \sqrt{p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4}[/tex] is conserved, you should be able to use that. You'll probably need to look up the rest masses of helium-3 and of the neutron but I don't think they'd be hard to find online.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook