1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a curve in 3 dimensions

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A heat-seeking missile is located at (2,-3) on a plane. The temperature function is
    given by T(x; y) = 20-4x^2-y^2. Find the equation of the curve along which the
    missile travels, if it continuously moves in the direction of maximum temperature
    increase. Express your answer in the form x = f(y). Show the calculations.

2. Relevant equations

T(x; y) = 20-4x^2-y^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the missile will travel along the direction of the gradient. The gradient with respect to x is -8x and the gradient with respect to y is -2y. The problem I'm having is getting the equation in terms of x. My only idea is to take δx(2,-3)(x-2)+δy(2,-3)(y+3)=0 and solve for x where x and δy are the gradients with respect to x and y. Is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The missile moves in the direction of the temperature gradient at any point of its path. That means that its velocity points in the direction of the gradient vector. But the velocity is tangent to the path. How do you get the tangent of a curve y=f(x)?

ehild

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook