1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a curve using a given point and slope

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1
    Find a curve whose slope at any point (x,y) is equal to 5y, and which passes through the point (1,-2)

All previous examples which i have seen of this type of question give a much more complex slope and always in terms of x.
    This is causing me a bit of confusion with my answer. Should I work though it by integrating the slope and putting this equal to x instead of y i.e

x=5/2y^2 + C

then plug in my given x and y to obtain C=-9
    giving a final equation of

x= 5/2y^2 -9

or should I work through using a general solution using arbitrary constant?

All help will be very much appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This problem implicitly asks you to solve the initial condition differential equation, dy/dx = 5y, y(1) = -2.

Your solution doesn't work. For your equation, dy/dx = 1/(5y).

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3
    From the initail conditions given I then re-arrange to give dy/y = 5dx?

and integrate this to obtain lny = 5x +c

5. Sep 16, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

dy/dx= 5y so dy/y= 5dx has nothing to do with the initial condition, that y(1)= -2.

Be careful! Integrating dy/y does NOT give ln y. It gives ln|y|. Often, we are working with positive numbers, but the condition that y(1)= -2 makes the difference important! Now, what value of c gives y satisfying y(1)= -2?

6. Sep 17, 2011 #5
    Working through i get

y=Ae^5x

so A=-2e^-5

so y=-2e^-5e^5x ??

7. Sep 17, 2011 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sure, but you can check this yourself. Once you have found the solution, most of the hard work is done, and it's a simple matter to verify that your solution works.
    Any solution you get must satisfy two conditions:
    1) y' = 5y
    2) y(1) = -2

If both of these are true for your solution, then your function is a solution to the initial condition problem.

Last, how you wrote your solution is not technically correct and it's more difficult to read than it needs to be.

y = -2e^(-5) * e^(5x)

or (using the X2 button, in the expanded menu after you click Go Advanced), you can write it like this:
    y = -2e-5e5x

or you can learn a bit of LaTeX to make it look like this:
    [tex]y = -2e^{-5}e^{5x}[/tex]

8. Sep 17, 2011 #7
    Thanks a lot mark44 and halls of ivy. Appreciate your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook