1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a Plane with 2 Points and Perpendicular

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the equation of the plane that contains the points A(1, 2, 3) and B(2, 3, -1) and is perpendicular to the plane 3x + y + z + 1=0. I think I know how to do it with only one point, not two

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that v= normal so it would be (3, 1, 1). Then I could use point A and say (x-1, y-2, z-3)dot(3, 1, 1)=0
    After expanding, I get 3x + y + z -8=0. Do I need to incorporate the other point?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2

Vid

No, you only need to use one point. Notice that if you had used the other point, you would have gotten the same equation.

4. Mar 18, 2008 #3
    the answer in the book is 5x-13y-2z+27=0. Does it make sense that my answer is so different? Would they give the same answer?

5. Mar 18, 2008 #4

Vid

Your normal vector is wrong. (3,1,1) is perpendicular to the given plane, but not the plane they want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?