Equation of a rectangle's radius

• Thread starter Samzor123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, this conversation discusses the discovery of an equation for finding the length of a line segment from the center of a rectangle to its perimeter at a given angle. The individual shares their attempt at representing the equation in Latex and provides a graph for visualization. Another individual points out an error in the equation and suggests a more complicated way of representing rectangles using polar coordinates. A third individual shares their solution to the problem, taking into account different types of rectangles and angles. Finally, a fourth individual presents their solution, which involves finding a similar angle in the first quadrant and comparing it to the angle of the diagonal from the center to the upper-right vertex of the rectangle.
Samzor123
A few days ago I got really excited when I found the equation for a retangles radius (distance from its center to its perimeter given an angle)

I have no idea if this is something very simple and stupid but my math teacher said it was impressive, I'm still in high school

It's like this:
(w/2)*sqrt(cos^2(theta)) + (h/2)*sqrt(sin^2(theta))

(Or my attempt at latex):
[tex]\frac{w}{2}\sqrt{cos^{2}(\theta)} + \frac{h}{2}\sqrt{sin^{2}(\theta)}[/tex]

gives the length of the line from the center of a rectangle (width w, height h) to its perimeter at angle of theta.

I graphed it also with x = theta (radians), for a rectangle of width 1 and height 1:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1828729/rr/graph.png (it's a big image)

I needed to share this, excuse me if it's ridiculously simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's NOT "ridiculously simple", it is, in fact, very clever.

Basically what you have done is a polar coordinate construction of rectangle that's centered at origin It's a quite more complicated way to represent rectangles but nonetheless interesting.

There is an error though, you could try plugging in [tex]\pi/6[/tex] for the formula and you get the wrong answer. Your answer is close to

I found a paper in which I had worked on the same problem. I didn't generalize it for rectangles of different sizes but that would be easy enough to do so. The solution is a piecewise one since I didn't bother to try to combine these. You can view the attachment to see the graph of solution for square (with side length 2). As you can see how it involves reciprocal of sine and cosine instead of just sine and cosine.

Attachments

• polar.JPG
    polar.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 698
This equation does not work.

Consider an angle theta, such that [itex]0^\circ \le \theta \le 90^\circ[/tex]

The "radius" of a rectangle with this angle would lie in the upper right quadrant of the rectangle.

Let's assume [itex]\theta = 30^\circ[/tex]
This would result in one of three different situations:
1) the radius will intersect the upper right vertex of the rectangle
2) the radius will intersect the top of the rectangle
3) the radius will intersect the right side of the rectangle

Now, let's assume our radius is 2 units long.

With an angle of [itex]30^\circ[/tex], this means we have a 30-60-90 triangle with a height of 1 unit and a base of [itex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] units.

I've drawn this triangle inside three different rectangles (each representing the upper right quadrant of the "whole" rectangle) using random values for situations #2 & #3.
(See attachment)

The dimension of the "whole" rectangles are as such:
1) h = 2, w = 2[itex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]
2) h = 2, w = 4

3) h = 2.4, w = 2[itex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

For situation #2, it's easy to see that this triangle will fit any upper right quadrant with a height of 1 unit and a width greater than or equal to [itex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

So, in the case where the radius at a given angle intersects the top of the rectangle, you can increase the width of the rectangle without affecting the length of the radius. And, since w is increasing, the value of your equation is increasing, yet the length of the radius remains the same.

Attachments

• Lines-Layout2a.PNG
    Lines-Layout2a.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 649
Since no one addressed this problem, I'll give my solution...

In order to find the length of the line segment from the center of a rectangle to it's perimeter (or, what the OP calls the "radius" of a rectangle), given the angle of the line segment ([itex]\theta[/tex]) and the rectangle's dimensions (H and W), you must first determine whether the line segment intersects either the top or bottom (one of the widths), or one of the sides.

To simplify the problem, I find it easier to find a similar angle in the first quadrant. That is, an angle [itex]\beta[/tex] such that [itex]0^\circ \le \beta \le 90^\circ[/tex] which intersects the rectangle in the same way as the original angle [itex]\theta[/tex].

To do this, I use

[tex]\beta = \tan^{-1} \left| \tan(\theta) \right|[/tex]

Next, determine the angle of the diagonal from the rectangle's center to it's upper-right vertex:

[tex]\phi = \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{H}{L} \right)[/tex]

Finally, compare [itex]\beta[/tex] to [itex]\phi[/tex] and use the appropriate formula to determine the length of the "radius" R:

If [itex]\beta \ge \phi[/tex], then [itex]R = H/(2 \sin \beta)[/tex]

If [itex]\beta < \phi[/tex], then [itex]R = W/(2 \cos \beta)[/tex]

1. What is the equation for finding the radius of a rectangle?

The equation for finding the radius of a rectangle is r = l/2, where r is the radius and l is the length of the rectangle.

2. How is the radius of a rectangle calculated?

The radius of a rectangle is calculated by dividing the length of the rectangle by 2.

3. Can the radius of a rectangle be negative?

No, the radius of a rectangle cannot be negative because it represents the distance from the center of the rectangle to its edge, which is always a positive value.

4. Can the radius of a rectangle be greater than its length or width?

No, the radius of a rectangle cannot be greater than its length or width because it represents the distance from the center of the rectangle to its edge, and the length and width are already the maximum distances from the center.

5. How does the radius of a rectangle relate to its perimeter and area?

The radius of a rectangle does not directly relate to its perimeter or area. However, it can be used to calculate the perimeter and area of a rectangle by using the equations P = 2(l+w) and A = lw, where P is the perimeter, l is the length, w is the width, and A is the area.