Equation of circle with arc length

In summary, the equation of a circle is x^2+(y+a)^2=R^2 and the x-intercepts are +/-√3 with an arclength above the x-axis of 4π/3. To find the values of a and R, a guess-and-check method can be used along with drawing a diagram to quickly obtain the answer. Other methods such as using a computer, Newtonian approximation, or bribing the TA can also be used.
Grand

Homework Statement

Equation of a circle is:
[tex]x^2+(y+a)^2=R^2[/tex]

x intercepts are [tex]+/-\sqrt{3}[/tex] and arclength above x-axis is [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/tex]

Find a and R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Grand! Welcome to PF!

(have a square-root: √ and a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hello, I've been tackling the problem for a while and the equation that I managed to come up with is:
[tex]\arcsin{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{R}}=\frac{4\pi/3}{2R}[/tex]

I can't solve it, and haven't found anything else useful.

Hello Grand! :smile:

Yes, that looks good …

but it's obviously unsolvable without a computer, sooo :rolleyes:

hadn't you better assume the answer is really obvious, and just make a guess and see if it's right? :biggrin:

Well, is it? Even though it is stated in the book, I want to find a way to actually obtain it. Is there a way?

hmm :rolleyes: … computer, Newtonian approximation, bribing the TA … :wink:

Taylor was my guess too, but here we aim at an exact answer, so we should not use it. Even though, how would you guess the answer?

uhhh? :confused:

how many angles do you know with "√3" in the sine ? :smile:

Yeah, alright. But come on, there must be some rigorous way doing it - I've been solving it for couple of hrs now, even managed to prove Pythagoras with it.

What's wrong with guess-and-check? It's a valid method. I don't mean to put you down, but combining this method with drawing a diagram, I was able to get the answer within minutes.

What is the equation for a circle with arc length?

The equation for a circle with arc length is S = rθ, where S is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians.

How do you find the arc length of a circle?

To find the arc length of a circle, you can use the formula S = rθ, where S is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians. Alternatively, you can use the formula S = 2πr (θ/360), where S is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in degrees.

What is the relationship between the arc length and the circumference of a circle?

The arc length is a part of the circumference of a circle. The circumference of a circle is the total distance around the circle, while the arc length is the distance along a specific portion of the circle's circumference. The relationship between the two is given by the formula S = (θ/2π)C, where S is the arc length, θ is the central angle in radians, and C is the circumference of the circle.

Can the equation for a circle with arc length be used for any circle?

Yes, the equation S = rθ can be used for any circle, regardless of its size or position. This formula is derived from the definition of a radian, which is a unit of measurement for angles based on the radius of a circle. Therefore, it can be applied to any circle.

How can the equation for a circle with arc length be used in real-world applications?

The equation S = rθ can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled along a curved path, determining the length of an arc in a graph or map, and finding the angle swept by a pendulum. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation to solve problems involving circular motion and distance measurements.