Finding the Center and Radius of a Circle with Complex Numbers and Loci

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Kajan thana
Messages
149
Reaction score
18

Homework Statement



Sketch the loci, find centre point and the radius of the circle.
args((z-3i)/((z+4))=π/6[/B]

Homework Equations


args(x/y)=args(x)-args(y)
Circle theorem - inclined angle theorem

The Attempt at a Solution



I sketched the circle with major arc.
Radius= using Pythagorus I got the radius as 5 unit^2 .
H=O/sinθ . H=2.5/sin(π/6)

I am stuck on finding the centre point.

[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kajan thana said:

Homework Statement



Sketch the loci, find centre point and the radius of the circle.
args((z-3i)/((z+4))=π/6[/B]

Homework Equations


args(x/y)=args(x)-args(y)
Circle theorem - inclined angle theorem

The Attempt at a Solution



I sketched the circle with major arc.
Radius= using Pythagorus I got the radius as 5 unit^2 .
H=O/sinθ . H=2.5/sin(π/6)

I am stuck on finding the centre point.
[/B]

Your radius is wrong.

Write ##z = x + iy## and express the ratio ##(z-3i)/(z+4)## as ##A(x,y) + i B(x,y)##. How can you get the equation of the curve in terms of the functions ##A(x,y)## and ##B(x,y)##?
 
Ray Vickson said:
Your radius is wrong.

Write ##z = x + iy## and express the ratio ##(z-3i)/(z+4)## as ##A(x,y) + i B(x,y)##. How can you get the equation of the curve in terms of the functions ##A(x,y)## and ##B(x,y)##?
I don't know how to change it into that form.
 
Last edited:
mfb said:
Can you find one or two points on the circle?
The coordinates are (0,3) and (-4,0)
 
Kajan thana said:
I don't know how to change it into that form.
With a complex z and c:$$\frac c z = \frac{cz^*}{zz^*}$$
Here * is the complex conjugation. Now the denominator is real and you can split the fraction into real and imaginary part.
 
mfb said:
With a complex z and c:$$\frac c z = \frac{cz^*}{zz^*}$$
Here * is the complex conjugation. Now the denominator is real and you can split the fraction into real and imaginary part.
I finally got the answer right and the radius is 5 unit^2. Your way gave me the same answer as well.
Thank you so much.