Geometry - Arcs created by Secant Lines

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a geometry problem involving a circle and two intersecting secants. The goal is to find the arc labeled x. The conversation mentions two theorems and provides a visual aid to help with the solution. The solution involves using central angles and manufacturing angles to determine the measure of x. Additionally, the conversation includes hints on how to solve the problem.
marenubium

Homework Statement

This picture:
http://i.imgur.com/n015WjU.png

It's drawn with exactly the amount of information from the worksheet. Specifically, the two secants meet at a point, with an angle of 28 degrees between them. Both secants partition off an arc of 120 degrees. The goal is to find the arc labeled x.

Homework Equations

Theorem (1): If an angle's vertex lies on a circle, then the angle is equal to half of the subtended arc.
Theorem (2): An angle is a central angle IFF the subtended arc is equal to the measure of the angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

Visual aid:
http://i.imgur.com/14Xoqfz.png

I labeled the points where the secants touch the circle A, B, C, D I then drew the purple lines.

By theorem 1, angles ADB, CBD are both 60 degrees.

Thus angle BED is 60 degrees since BED is a triangle, formed out of three straight lines.

Since AD is a straight line, AEB + BED = 180 degrees.

Thus AEB = 120 degrees.

This violates Theorem 2 since E is clearly not the center of the circle. I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've stared at this on and off for a couple hours now. Thanks for any directions.

Physics news on Phys.org
marenubium said:

Homework Statement

This picture:
n015WjU.png

It's drawn with exactly the amount of information from the worksheet. Specifically, the two secants meet at a point, with an angle of 28 degrees between them. Both secants partition off an arc of 120 degrees. The goal is to find the arc labeled x.

Homework Equations

Theorem (1): If an angle's vertex lies on a circle, then the angle is equal to half of the subtended arc.
Theorem (2): An angle is a central angle IFF the subtended arc is equal to the measure of the angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

Visual aid:
http://i.imgur.com/14Xoqfz.png

I labeled the points where the secants touch the circle A, B, C, D I then drew the purple lines.

By theorem 1, angles ADB, CBD are both 60 degrees.

Thus angle BED is 60 degrees since BED is a triangle, formed out of three straight lines.

Since AD is a straight line, AEB + BED = 180 degrees.

Thus AEB = 120 degrees.

This violates Theorem 2 since E is clearly not the center of the circle. I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've stared at this on and off for a couple hours now. Thanks for any directions.
Use the central angles. Theorem 2 is not true for angle AEB. What is subtended arc?

Last edited:
Some more hints:

upload_2017-4-27_22-12-55.png

Determine the green angles, then the red ones. With the 28° angle and the red ones, you get the blue angle, and then x.

Thank you. I guess my problem is I forgot that I could manufacture central angles even though the figure didn't contain the center of the circle.

1. What is a secant line in geometry?

A secant line is a line that intersects a circle at two points.

2. How are secant lines related to arcs in geometry?

Secant lines create two arcs on a circle when they intersect it. The arcs are defined by the points of intersection of the secant line and the circle.

3. What is the difference between a secant line and a tangent line?

A tangent line intersects a circle at only one point, while a secant line intersects at two points.

4. Can secant lines intersect outside the circle?

Yes, secant lines can intersect outside the circle, creating two external arcs. These arcs are still defined by the points of intersection of the secant line and the circle.

5. How are arc lengths related to secant lines?

The length of an arc created by a secant line is equal to the sum of the lengths of the two arcs created by the secant line. This is also known as the Intersecting Chord Theorem.